10/2 rule for chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, but are they erected to code? We need to have ~13' of exposed pipe. I don't see the issue either, as long as it's properly braced. Putting a hole in the ceiling where we'd like it also baffles me, as I don't see the problem. I need to ask our builder why he's not liking that location.

You need to have (10X12)+24" = 144" (12') of exposed chimney on a 12/12 pitch. Maybe your installer doesn't have scaffolding or a Manlift to get up that high? Is there another reason why he feels that he's unable to do it safely?

Well, I'm talking specifically about older houses around here, so we'd be looking at 13' of masonry stack instead of pipe. I haven't set up my ladder and measured any of them, but they do typically protrude about a foot above the ridge, so I'm guessing 'yes'. While there's plenty of exceptions, most newer houses around here have less roof pitch (8:12 is very typical) and most old houses have 12:12.

In the case of the 1890's stack thru the soffit of my 18' x 18' kitchen, the roof slope is 10' rise x 10' run, and the stack thru the soffit sticks up about 2' above the ridge 10' away.

Can you go thru wall then up? That will eliminate their worry about the roof structure.

Hearth pad dimensions should not be significantly different no matter where the stove is located... If you are set on the T6, I can attest that you can locate chairs etc rather close and not get roasted. Floor plan drawing with dimension would help some of us address your concerns.

Here is the main floor plan with 2 squares representing either the corner install or middle of the room. We like the middle of the room, but it will likely use up a lot of floor space and be quite close to the couch. It's hard to tell but the room is 15' x 30' which sounds like a lot but really isn't when you start putting furniture in. A couple more pics of the corner option and where the pipe would go.

Attachments

• 10/2 rule for chimney
    1st floor.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 10/2 rule for chimney
    corner.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 10/2 rule for chimney
    outside1a.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 10/2 rule for chimney
    outsideb.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 265
There were pics of a nice installation on here a long time ago...really doubt that I could find them, but I'll try to describe what these folks did. They were putting a stove in a great room with two-story cathedral ceiling (lofted space above the first floor other than the great room)...I think this is similar to your place you're building. They would not/could not centrally locate the stove, but rather insisted it be out at one side wall. Steeply pitched roof like yours. What they decided to do was go straight up out of the stove to near the ceiling, then a 45° elbow to allow another run of stovepipe (this was all double-wall for clearances) to parallel the pitch of the vaulted ceiling until it nearly (but not quite) reached the peak, then another 45° elbow up into the ceiling support box and the transition to Class A chimney. All this was exposed and visible in the great room. Voila, stove in the corner and chimney out near the peak...maybe 3' exposed, depending on where you decide to make the transition to vertical. They loved it, and I thought it looked good and was a nice solution to the same dilemma you're facing. Rick

There were pics of a nice installation on here a long time ago...really doubt that I could find them, but I'll try to describe what these folks did. They were putting a stove in a great room with two-story cathedral ceiling (lofted space above the first floor other than the great room)...I think this is similar to your place you're building. They would not/could not centrally locate the stove, but rather insisted it be out at one side wall. Steeply pitched roof like yours. What they decided to do was go straight up out of the stove to near the ceiling, then a 45° elbow to allow another run of stovepipe (this was all double-wall for clearances) to parallel the pitch of the vaulted ceiling until it nearly (but not quite) reached the peak, then another 45° elbow up into the ceiling support box and the transition to Class A chimney. All this was exposed and visible in the great room. Voila, stove in the corner and chimney out near the peak...maybe 3' exposed, depending on where you decide to make the transition to vertical. They loved it, and I thought it looked good and was a nice solution to the same dilemma you're facing. Rick

yes, I cam visualize what you're describing,but not sure it would look that good. It would also require a lot of pipe just to run along the ceiling line, but still in interesting way to get what we want.

Can't see the floor plan that well with the picture, but regarding the central location, is that a solid wall or open into the the two rooms what would be behind the stove? And is the second floor above that open into this great room?

Very cool design. Thanks for the pictures.

I would personally opt for the central location, especially if those two rooms and loft are open. And design a raised hearth as part of the room "furniture", enough room to sit on next to the stove etc. We were concerned with the traffic/flow etc when we added our hearth and T6 in the kitchen/family room. But those fears were unwarranted. You can place couches etc quite close to the T6.

Pics in signature hyperlink.

Can't see the floor plan that well with the picture, but regarding the central location, is that a solid wall or open into the the two rooms what would be behind the stove? And is the second floor above that open into this great room?

Very cool design. Thanks for the pictures.

I would personally opt for the central location, especially if those two rooms and loft are open. And design a raised hearth as part of the room "furniture", enough room to sit on next to the stove etc. We were concerned with the traffic/flow etc when we added our hearth and T6 in the kitchen/family room. But those fears were unwarranted. You can place couches etc quite close to the T6.

Pics in signature hyperlink.

yes, the whole downstairs is wide open with a loft above. I know you can get things pretty close to the T6, it's just we don't want to make it look crowded. The builder confirmed the only reason they and the stove shop don't like the corner install is they're concerned that wind could topple the pipe even with proper bracing.

yes, the whole downstairs is wide open with a loft above. I know you can get things pretty close to the T6, it's just we don't want to make it look crowded. The builder confirmed the only reason they and the stove shop don't like the corner install is they're concerned that wind could topple the pipe even with proper bracing.

My stove is a corner install, as close as specified clearances (with a rear heat shield) will allow. The roof is a 12/12 pitch, with exterior rise of 12 feet. I have been in the cabin with 50 mph+ winds and the chimney hasn't moved. Unless you get a lot of hurricanes, I don't understand your builder's concern.10/2 rule for chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.