Stove reccomendations for a 270 sq. ft. room in Georgia home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodstovehunterga

May 6, 2024
Marietta, GA
Hi, all! I am building a sun room with vaulted (20ft at highest, 8-9 at lowest) ceilings onto my house. I am shopping around for wood stoves to use as a heating source in the room. I live in Georgia (USA), so would only need to use it for about 5 months out of the year. The sunroom is about 270 sq ft with a sliding door that opens to a large living room with very tall, vaulted ceilings. I'm debating which stove to buy and am considering convection vs. radiant, and worried about getting a large stove that cook us out of the room. I've been looking into the Morso 1440 B and 1410, Drolet nano, Jotul, Aspen c3 but any recommendations would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

A small stove from Jotul or Morso will work. A lot of the heated air will pocket at the ceiling peak. Is there a way to vent this heat into the house? If not, ceiling fans will be needed to circulate this pocketed hot air. In the winter they are typically run in reverse.

Reactions: woodstovehunterga
I have a sunroom in Long Island NY (and used to live in TN).
If your sunroom has a sufficient amount of windows, you'll not need to heat it more than 3 months a year.
I can sit in my sunroom in February on sunny days. It gets up to 70 easily due to the sun exposure. In March I can sometimes open the sliding door to have the sunroom heat the home...

If yours (including the floor) is insulated , with the sun down there, and the warmer outside temps, you'll almost never need the stove.

My room is 160 sq ft, square, single pane, no floor insulation. One side facing south, one north and one east.

A small stove from Jotul or Morso will work. A lot of the heated air will pocket at the ceiling peak. Is there a way to vent this heat into the house? If not, ceiling fans will be needed to circulate this pocketed hot air. In the winter they are typically run in reverse.
Ok, I was looking into small stoves from these two. I will have a ceiling fan.

Also, do get a closable vent at the top; if you have a gable end a window that can open there. Otherwise a skylight in the roof near the ridge that you can open and close with a long rod.
The heat load from the sunroom on your home will otherwise be humongous in summer. Have to vent that heat out during the days you have your AC on in the home.

Honestly, you will happier with a mini split heatpump. That size of space needs AC so you are already should have that budgeted.
Stoves are fun but you won’t save any money.

From another southern burner (I heat mostly with wood). I won’t ever break even with my stoves. And i have not paid for wood in 4 years. (Yes that’s plural, I have two). If I was going to add a stove to a sun room my splurge would be a Moso, Aspen C3 would be most likely and a Drolet if I was on a budget.

I have one of my Ashford 30's in a room that's something like 190 sq.ft. The room with the stove will run 5F - 8F warmer than adjacent rooms, if your house is anything like ours, but we don't mind that. In fact, since the stove is in my office and I tend to be sedentary at a desk during the day or napping on the couch in the evening when I'm in this room, it works out nicely. The temperature is pretty much dead-steady, no swings, but it's in a part of the house with 22" thick uninsulated stone walls, and it's tucked back in a big cooking fireplace (aka "walk-in" fireplace), so plenty of thermal mass to level off any peaks.

We have an identical Ashford 30 in a nice big 1600 sq.ft. room with 14 ft. ceilings and ceiling fans at the other end of the house, and you'd think that'd be the more ideal space for a stove, but that room is all well-insulated modern construction with a lot of solar gain, so it's much harder to heat consistently than the smaller space in the older part of the house. The daily swings are huge, and we often accidentally overheat that space, despite its much larger volume.

I see so many assumptions posted here, about how one stove over another will do, in various size spaces. And of course we cannot usually see the details of questioner's construction or space, which seems to me to often have a bigger impact than the simple square footage figure.