Repipe my Chimney for easier cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oregun

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2017
Oregon
I have a Harman XXV stove which is working well as is but I recently cleaned the chimney and stove and am looking for change where I don't have to disassemble the chimney to clean the pipe and stove. Currently have a straight shot through the roof with 8" metal triple wall from the ceiling for 16' with a rotating rain cap.
From the ceiling to the stove is an 8" to 6" adapter followed by 6" single wall pipe to the harman 6" top-vent adapter.
My roof has a 12/12 pitch and would like to be able to clean from the below and without disassembly?
Stove is in the center of the house on a ceramic tile pad.

Currently was thinking of removing the top-vent adapter and using a T with clean out and then going 25' of 4" pipe straight up through my 8" pipe in the ceiling.
But this puts the clean out an inch or two off the floor and I have an sooteater kit for cleaning the pipe and it is not that flexible, so that doesn't work.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Google leaf blower method to clean pellet stove. That will do it for you!

Google leaf blower method to clean pellet stove. That will do it for you!
Will it work with 25' of chimney straight up?? Can I put the blower in the tunnel on the front of the stove without damaging
anything? I could remove the heat sensor in the chimney first.

Watched a few videos. Seems like it would be better to blow the soot out from inside the house so the soot isn't going through
the blower. I have 6" and 8" chimney so the pressures would be lower than for a 3" or 4" chimney.
I give it a try next time , will need to get a good seal on the connection.

Last edited:
No dont blow it out it will fill your house with soot and ash.

Reactions: SpaceBus
No dont blow it out it will fill your house with soot and ash.

Well if the seams are screwed and sealed , how does it get into the house?
That means I would have I to go on the roof and make a blower connection to 8" pipe.

Well the reason for the leaf blower procedure is to clean the stove and vent pipe at the same time. But if your going to move and disconnect the stove I suppose you could blow it out. All the ash and soot will end up on your roof is all, instead of blown out into the yard.

Well the reason for the leaf blower procedure is to clean the stove and vent pipe at the same time. But if your going to move and disconnect the stove I suppose you could blow it out. All the ash and soot will end up on your roof is all, instead of blown out into the yard.

Wasn't planning on disconnecting the stove, was thinking of sealing the leaf blower into the exhaust tunnel on inside of the front of the stove and blowing out through the combustion fan area and out of the stove into the stove pipe. Granted the stove and pipes need to be well sealed to not get any ash in the house but that is the case normally with the combustion fan, just running higher pressures with the leaf blower.

Are there any pressure sensors in the exhaust path inside the stove that could be damaged by the increased air pressure?
Also would be good to do it on a breezy day to send any ash outside away from the house.

i would go up on the roof, remove rain cap and adapt the blower and open stove door and clean away. there is a vacuum sensor that could be damaged your way. but its your stove and house do your cleaning any way you want to.:)

i would go up on the roof, remove rain cap and adapt the blower and open stove door and clean away. there is a vacuum sensor that could be damaged your way. but its your stove and house do your cleaning any way you want to.:)
Thanks. But if I go on the roof and remove cap (not easy) I'd rather just run the brush down the pipe.
I'm 66 and don't know how many more years I can climb up the 12/12 roof safely.
I am looking for a way to clean from down below.
Cheers

Currently was thinking of removing the top-vent adapter and using a T with clean out and then going 25' of 4" pipe straight up through my 8" pipe in the ceiling.
But this puts the clean out an inch or two off the floor and I have an sooteater kit for cleaning the pipe and it is not that flexible, so that doesn't work.
A possible option, if you have the room and clearance, is to move the stove to one side so that you connect it at a 45 degree angle with the vertical pipe that comes down from the ceiling. You'll have to figure out the best distance to it, but the idea is that the T with the cleanout by the stove will be pointing in diagonal up, and the cleanout will now be more accessible than being 1 in from the floor. This way your not that flexible sooteater rods will be able to go through it.

I have a Harman XXV stove which is working well as is but I recently cleaned the chimney and stove and am looking for change where I don't have to disassemble the chimney to clean the pipe and stove. Currently have a straight shot through the roof with 8" metal triple wall from the ceiling for 16' with a rotating rain cap.
From the ceiling to the stove is an 8" to 6" adapter followed by 6" single wall pipe to the harman 6" top-vent adapter.
My roof has a 12/12 pitch and would like to be able to clean from the below and without disassembly?
Stove is in the center of the house on a ceramic tile pad.

Hello
Similar idea.
If you put the cleanout T on the back of the stove at a 45 degree and a 45 Deg pipe on top of the cleanout T it gives a lot more room to get the cleanout cap off and makes sticking the brushes into the pipe a lot easier. :)

Interesting ideas. But after looking at the top vent adapter closer I see it puts the exhaust path directly on the back of the stove which means if I remove it I will have to move the stove forward if I put a Tee on the back of the stove. My tile pad is not movable so it would put the front of the stove near the front of the tile and violate the amount of tile needed in front of the stove.

Another possible method without moving the stove would be to remove the top vent adapter and install 4" pipe from the ceiling to the top back of the stove and attach a bracket to the back of stove to support the 4" pipe. Then connect a piece of flexible pipe to the 4" pipe curving to the exhaust on the bottom of the stove without a T. I would still have to disconnect the flex pipe to clean but with it disconnected and the curve it should be easier to send the flex rods up the pipe. But does such a flex pipe exist that could connect to the port on the back of the stove and the 4" vertical pipe flexing 90 degrees? And since it would be single wall it would be very hot.

On the XXV STOVES i pull the comb motor, insert rod thru bottom grate from front of stove to line up to go up flue thru comb blower housing.Then attach brush. I brush from there all the way out with shop vac going to catch as as it drops down. I never go up on roof. The top vent adapter clean out port bolts seem to lock up and want to break off from my experience so I dont even try them. I leave esp in place. I have never had a problem doing it that way. Here are plenty of ways to skin a cat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the XXV STOVES i pull the comb motor, insert rod thru bottom grate from front of stove to line up to go up flue thru comb blower housing.Then attach brush. I brush from there all the way out with shop vac going to catch as as it drops down. I never go up on roof. The top vent adapter clean out port bolts seem to lock up and want to break off from my experience so I dont even try them. I leave esp in place. I have never had a problem doing it that way. Here are plenty of ways to skin a cat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of rod/brush will work from the narrow channel of the top vent adapter expanding to the 6" vertical pipe?
How do you clean the ash that falls around the short 4" pellet pipe at the top of the top vent adapter?

You should have 4" pellet vent inside the 6" pipe. A 4" pellet vent brush and pellet vent rods will work. I guess you might be able to use a 4" dryer vent cleaning brush and rods to. 4" pellet vent brush will go thru the adapter opening with no problem. Then only 6" pipe you should/may have in the system should be the triple wall at ceiling level. Do you have some sort of sealed 6" pipe coming right off the top of the stove? I was thinking the adapter was more for the wood stove look with 4" pellet vent inside. That is the only way I have seen it around hear.

I run my 4” duravent up 6’ to a 4”-6” sealed adaptor to a class A 6” chimney and up through the roof. 6” brush an a 4”brush, i disassemble in the spring and clean with a vac. Never had an issue in 19 yrs

You should have 4" pellet vent inside the 6" pipe. A 4" pellet vent brush and pellet vent rods will work. I guess you might be able to use a 4" dryer vent cleaning brush and rods to. 4" pellet vent brush will go thru the adapter opening with no problem. Then only 6" pipe you should/may have in the system should be the triple wall at ceiling level. Do you have some sort of sealed 6" pipe coming right off the top of the stove? I was thinking the adapter was more for the wood stove look with 4" pellet vent inside. That is the only way I have seen it around hear.

There is a short 18" 4 inch pellet pipe inside the top vent adapter to protect the hopper lid when it's up. But its sealed 6" single wall from the stove to the ceiling then 8" triple wall to the roof.

Ok. I have not seen that set up before.