Jotul F400 - What color is this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Patrick-

Dec 14, 2023
VA
Hello, I acquired this 2007 Jotul F400 a couple months ago. The plan is to replace the 1985 Lopi 320 (I think?) in my 900+ sqft unfinished basement in order to cut down on wood usage and to generally “right size” the heater. I think the Lopi was meant to provide heat to the first floor but since we bought the house a year ago that hasn’t happened. I had basement running 84 degrees and maybe would get a degree or two warmer upstairs to keep the heat pump from kicking on. So instead of burning the big inefficient stove to heat the basement I’m going to try to make things more efficient so I don’t have to burn so much wood. I just got an insert for the main level to replace gas logs, will be installed this summer.

All that to say, what color is this stove? I need to try to fix some enamel chips. I have read about Majolica blue and indigo blue as options. I think this is indigo blue…I have seen one site that sells Jotul blue, but not sure how to figure out if it’s compatible yet.

Thanks!

Looks more like a black porcelain enamel. The finish is more glossy. The blue-black finish didn't have the shiny majolica clear coat. Jotul had something called iron enamel that was pretty dark but I am not sure if it is the finish. stovelark, D. Hermit any thoughts?

This is the F400 in blue-black enamel. It's more of a satin finish.

Stove Install-020.jpg

Definitely not Blue black. I have the f400 blue black. It is not glossy like the pick. Also It is also more black than blue.

The f400 is a good stove, it's weakness is the burn times are not that long. Other than that it's a good very solidly built stove.

Mine heats my house here in NJ.

I agree with begreen, Your pic looks like a gloss black

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick-
I think my first pic was too dark. See if this shows the blue better. It seems like a dark blue.

I will email Jotul with the s/n. Last time I emailed them I never got a response, but I’ll try again.
Thanks!

Definitely not Blue black. I have the f400 blue black. It is not glossy like the pick. Also It is also more black than blue.

The f400 is a good stove, it's weakness is the burn times are not that long. Other than that it's a good very solidly built stove.

Mine heats my house here in NJ.

I agree with begreen, Your pic looks like a gloss black
What sort of burn times do you see? I’m hoping they would be longer than my big Lopi but the trade off is the firebox is a lot smaller on the f400.

Burn time maybe 3 hours if you are lucky. Of course u can get it longer but then you would need to choke it down to much and lose most of the secondary combustion.

It definitely takes some practice to dial in good burning on this stove. I'm still figuring it out after 3 or 4 full time burn seasons.

Depending on how one defines the ambiguous burntime we typically got 4+ hrs.. The stovetop still was above 250º at that point. For reloads on hot coals our usual reload cycle time was 4-6 hrs., which is fairly average for an ~ 1.7 cu ft stove. Note that this is in milder NW climate. On a 20' straight up flue, secondary combustion was always good until outdoor temps were over 50º. However, when temps were in the low 20's I was reloading the stove every 3-4 hrs. That in part is why we went to a much larger stove. The E/W firebox means one is actually lucky to get more than about 1.5 cu ft loaded.