Blaze king king into 6" thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDave

Hearth Supporter
Aug 27, 2009
U.P. Michigan
I'm new here but have been lurking for some time now and learning much as I decide on a stove to replace and OLD Russell Glor.

Debating between the BK Princess and the King. I'd like to go with the King, but the thimble to my exterior masonary chimney with a 6.5"x10.5" clay liner for a 6" flue pipe. Does anyone have an opinion about going through that size thimble and using the King stove?

MIDave said:
I'm new here but have been lurking for some time now and learning much as I decide on a stove to replace and OLD Russell Glor.

Debating between the BK Princess and the King. I'd like to go with the King, but the thimble to my exterior masonary chimney with a 6.5"x10.5" clay liner for a 6" flue pipe. Does anyone have an opinion about going through that size thimble and using the King stove?
The dealer I bought my King from shared go 8" pipe from the stove all the way to an 8" adapter with the 6" ending going thur the ceiling and out.I did and it's working ok.

Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. I think others are using 6" flues too, but it's nice to hear directly from someone that's doing that successfully

Technically it's not right, but functionally you'll be fine. There are a lot of us using the BKK with 6".

How hard would it be to change out the 6" thimble to an 8"? I don't know if I'd down size with an outside masonry chimney, many don't draft well unless they are relined and insulated.

I will leave it to the fluid dynamics wizards but coming off a 50 sq. in. cross sectional area pipe into a 28 sq. in. bottleneck then out into a 68 sq. in. cross sectional area chimney can't be a good thing. With positive pressure it would be a mess. With negative pressure like a chimney I don't know what happens.

And won't ever find out.

MIDave said:

How big/well insulated is your place? The Princess is as big as most companies big stoves and is small only compared to the King.

Code allows up to 3 times the cross sectional area but having an oversized flue can be a detriment.
You are always best off not asking that type of question here.The manufactures are the folks you should be asking to get their ok or the solution .
People do what they are gonna do and sometimes it's not the right thing to do.
Talk to the manufacturer.

MIDave said:

I too considered the King, and asked either the mfg'er or distributor if it was
"crazy" to put the King flue through a 8"->6" reducer into my existing 6"
chimney - given that my chimney is tall and straight and draws very well.
He confirmed that it was - crazy, that is.

I can't quite parse your second sentence, but I don't think this is quite what
you're talking about.

BrotherBart said:
I will leave it to the fluid dynamics wizards but coming off a 50 sq. in. cross sectional area pipe into a 28 sq. in. bottleneck then out into a 68 sq. in. cross sectional area chimney can't be a good thing. With positive pressure it would be a mess. With negative pressure like a chimney I don't know what happens.

And won't ever find out.

That's what I was thinking. When my engine builder (boat engine hence the screen name bbc557ci) and I were discussing the intake and heads, velocity / air flow was a huge factor. Bottle necking the air flow, in this case the draft, has to affect the draft and seems stove efficiency would go down the tubes.

Thanks to all for your input. While at the stove dealer I decided to go with the Princess Ultra so that resolves the 6"/8" issue. Now I'm just hoping that I get a good enough draft to avoid having to install a liner. Only time will tell.

I'm very anxious to try out this new stove after all I've read about how it performs. Probably be a couple of weeks till I can fire up as I have some tile work I want to do first.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.