Access to Black Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
The power company recently made some cuts and I have access to a good amount of Black Ash. I have only burned maple in the past. I did a quick search here amd get lots of "What's in your stove" and identification threads.

Thoughts on burning Black Ash? I will need to buck, split and transport, but if it is a good burn and free...

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I think it's on par with red maple.
Go get it.

Reactions: Northern NH Mike
I'd burn it without worry
Produces 22.600 BTU per cord
The same as Green Ash and a little less than White Birch
Free BTU,s are good BTU,s

Bummer they are cutting Black Ash and turning it into firewood. Its a big demand for basket making.

Makes beautiful boards. I cut and milled a lot of it on my grampa's property years ago. He had the local lumber yard kiln dry it, plane it, and give it T&G edges. He paneled his basement with it and it looked great!

We also turned a lot of black ash into firewood. Easy to process - great stuff!

Makes unbelievable hardwood floors as well

Access to Black Ash

Access to Black Ash

Reactions: johneh