Zero clearance wood stove for 4000sf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hello all-

I am new to this whole hearth talk. But I have learned so much by researching our new wood stove this past week. We are building a new home and hoping to heat a good portion of the house with heat during the winter. I have been around to my local stores and spent hours reading on the internet.

I really like the Astria Montecito Estate but after talking to my husband we are really looking at spending half that price. We do want a large stove, zero clearance and of course one that can perform. But we don't need to have it have some fancy faceplate and be much more $$$. I like the Osburn Horizon and found it for $3500. Also like the Kozy and Quadra 7100. I am looking for feedback on any of these mentioned or others not mentioned.

Really feeling the burn of money bulidingba new house and really want a quality product at in the $3000 (or less!)-$4000 range .

TIA!

Check out pricing for the Valcourt Lafayette and Pacific Energy FP30.

Reactions: En Fuego
Yes, 10 hrs is totally realistic. Sounds like you are starting to search threads on this ZC which is good. There are several installs documented here.

Yes I have been reading the FP30 thread. I'm a little worried about not having a good deal close by and the air that comes through the bottom when not in use. My husband is a general contractor and said he he could weld up a dampener thing but I'd rather not have to go that route. Reading up on all this had been intriguing!

The cold air that comes from the bottom is not that bad in my opinion. Maybe it's because I had a fire going anytime it was cold enough to be an issue...

After much discussion about well everything including house size , climate, budget and quality , I think tomorrow we are pulling the trigger on a Quadra 7100. Really liked the FP 30 and some others but we decided we need something bigger. Does anyone have any last minute advice or warnings that may be important in making this crucual move?? I will definitely post pictures and keep you all posted .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Considering this is new home construction don't skimp on insulation, sealing and window quality. Investing in these areas will payback significantly over the lifespan of the house. If possible, orient the house to capitalize on solar gain and locate the fireplace centrally instead of being stuck on the outside end of a great room.

Thanks ! @begreen below is current stage if house. We are doing awesome Andersen windows and barrel tile roof (being finished now) and insulation is great. The fireplace is location between the kitchen and the great room on the middle of a long wall. We are about 6 months from completion so hoping for a nice cozy winter in there.
9a750161242b1621d089b685dc64634c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: