Zero Clearance Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fisherman85

Oct 11, 2018
Indiana
New member here. Had a question about installing a zero clearance insert.

I've been thinking of one for awhile. Currently we have a ventless gas log, and I've thought about removing the gas log and installing a zero clearance insert in its place.

The main goal is to reduce heating cost and having a better backup in case of power outage.

So how involved is installing a zero clearance insert (generally speaking)? Is this something someone who is mechanically inclined can do pretty easily, or better left to a professional? Doesn't seem terribly involved to me, but I'm sure there are plenty on here who are more experienced at this.

New member here. Had a question about installing a zero clearance insert.

I've been thinking of one for awhile. Currently we have a ventless gas log, and I've thought about removing the gas log and installing a zero clearance insert in its place.

The main goal is to reduce heating cost and having a better backup in case of power outage.

So how involved is installing a zero clearance insert (generally speaking)? Is this something someone who is mechanically inclined can do pretty easily, or better left to a professional? Doesn't seem terribly involved to me, but I'm sure there are plenty on here who are more experienced at this.
The first thing we need to know is what model fireplace do you have? Most zero clearance units do not allow inserts to be installed in them

IMG_3715.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My hope is to remove the whole ventless firebox and whatever else needs to be gone to install the zero clearance. Was thinking of an Osburn Stratford or something similar. Obviously the chimney would run up through the drywall void that's above the current firebox.

My hope is to remove the whole ventless firebox and whatever else needs to be gone to install the zero clearance. Was thinking of an Osburn Stratford or something similar. Obviously the chimney would run up through the drywall void that's above the current firebox.
Oh ok well that would be fine. When you said insert i thought you were talking about an insert in your current fireplace. But now i understand you are talking about a complete fireplace replacement.

But to your question no it isnt that complicated as long as you have decent carpentry skills and will take the time to read understand and follow the instructions

So have any of you installed something similar to this? Is it fairly easy or would it be better to hire a professional?
Yes i have installed quite a few. It depends on your skill set

@Fisherman85 - I contemplated this same question/situation. I ended up installing my zero clearance fireplace myself and am very glad I did. Take your time and ask questions if you aren't sure.

I am not in the construction trade. I had never tackled a project this big. Just giving you some context. Good luck!

The key to a successful install will be good planning, reading and following the manual, asking questions when uncertain, getting proper components, measuring well, measure again, take your time with the intent to do it right the first time, ask more questions as it proceeds, don't cut corners, and use quality tools and components.

Reactions: bfast250