Yet another clearance question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nort'Woods

Jan 10, 2019
Wisconsin
Trying to decipher the clearances for my Drolet Savannah wood stove. I am using a double wall pipe, and installation is parallel to a back wall--no side walls to worry about. The manual indicates a 12" clearance from the wall to the back of the heat shield on the stove, but this chart makes it look like I only need 6" (letter A). Any definitive answers on this? I can do 12" but if I only need 6" its easier to avoid ceiling studs on the install.
Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• Yet another clearance question..
    IMG_20191105_105306086.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 62
double wall to ceiling support box -yep only need 6" from back of stove due stove having a rear heat shield. kinda a funky chart as most spec to the flue that i have seen . i had to use double 45's to make clearance for the flue due to roof construction other wise the stove hearth pad would have been close to the middle of the room with its prescribed front spacing. As it stands now it kinda makes a break between the dining area and the living room- dining area is kinda wierdly shaped , one wall is on an angle about 15-20 degrees off the opposite wall opening into living room. There is a coat closet and pantry on the other side of that angled wall. worked out ok as the cold air return is also on that wall 10 ft exactly from stove.

double wall to ceiling support box -yep only need 6" from back of stove due stove having a rear heat shield. kinda a funky chart as most spec to the flue that i have seen . i had to use double 45's to make clearance for the flue due to roof construction other wise the stove hearth pad would have been close to the middle of the room with its prescribed front spacing. As it stands now it kinda makes a break between the dining area and the living room- dining area is kinda wierdly shaped , one wall is on an angle about 15-20 degrees off the opposite wall opening into living room. There is a coat closet and pantry on the other side of that angled wall. worked out ok as the cold air return is also on that wall 10 ft exactly from stove.
Great, thanks. I just found out that the UL information always overrides the manual too. Learn something new everyday.