xtrordinair elite 36 - Bypass Moved?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skJen

Nov 11, 2017
Michigan
Greetings!

Our contractor just finished the install of our Elite 36 this week. Today, we were eager to have our first fire. After looking at the owner's manual, it looks to us as though the bypass for the catalytic converter has been moved to the bottom--this differs from the manual.

So, we have no idea how to engage and disengage the bypass.

The unit has three controls on the bottom, toward the right. Typically, the bypass would be toward the top of the glass/surround (according to the manual).

Any advice on which one is the bypass control--and which way to move it to engage/disengage?

IMG_2438.jpg

I would recommend calling their customer service. I noticed there was a discrepancy in our manual and a quick call to customer service was all I needed.

Napoleon EPI3TN Majolica Brown

Sure! As you can see there are three controls on the bottom toward the right.

1. Bottom Just Right of Center - Lever that can be slid left to right

2. Bottom Right Corner of the Door - Lever that can be slid left to right (thinking this is airflow).

3. Knob in Bottom Right Corner - My husband turned the knob and the plastic broke right off, so it looks like a sorry excuse for a knob. We can adjust using a pliers for now--will order a new knob soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 293
Well the bypass should be above the door. Does that decorative triangle piece in the arch pull out?

I see what you mean by the manual not matching up to what you have. That’s confusing

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Perhaps you were looking at a few different models and settled on something else? I’m pretty sure that’s not an FPX, or even a Fireplace from Travis industries...

Reactions: Leiper
A 36 elite would have the bypass damper at the top Center. The lower right would have a rheostat for the blower, no other controls in that location. The primary air control is also above the door on the 36, below the doors on the 44 elite.

That's so obvious, I can't believe I missed it. My husband told me the name of the fireplace and we were reading the online manuals. I finally took the time to dig out the paper copies we received with install and, you're right, it is a different model.

Thanks for taking the time to help a total novice out!

That's so obvious, I can't believe I missed it. My husband told me the name of the fireplace and we were reading the online manuals. I finally took the time to dig out the paper copies we received with install and, you're right, it is a different model.

Thanks for taking the time to help a total novice out!
The fact a knob broke off on the first use was a dead give away!;)

confirmed - that is a "Northstar" zero clearance fireplace - beautiful unit. Lots of members own them if you need any further help.