Wow My Vogelzang is now giving me fits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MiMod

Oct 22, 2019
272727@1Billy
Pellet Stove.JPG

Sorry Guess I should have typed before inserting image..... Well , I been complaining some about my burn pot getting full of Clunkers & here is the worst of it. So I'll run by the scenario. Cleaned the unit well & vaced. Put in 2 Bags of Pellets, ran on level 2 = about 24 hours, Before It went out added 2 more bags. Next morning felt like it wasn't putting out normal level of heat. So waited till noon to shut off & ck & the above picture is what I found. Only thing I can think is the feed rate is off or the blower that Ranps up ? on higher burn levels isn't working. Any ideas ? Its only about a month old & still under warranty. Thanks
PS ---Yes the pellets in the Ash Pan are what I dug out of the burner area too.
PSS I have tried playing with the dampner setting going as far as 1/2 open after burn starts, Gonna slam the sucker wide open as nothing I seem to do helps. It does have the New chimney kit as recommended by mfg.
The burn pot Clunker is about a 90% solid hunk.

Last edited:
you may want to try some diff pellets also.. before you tear into i though i would turn it in for warranty.

I know you were going back and forth between Michigan Hardwood pellets and Pro Pellets. Do the Pro Pellets cause this result? With my old pellets the burn pot used to always do the same thing as what you show, but never has with the Pro Pellets.

Which model vogelzang? Also what kind of pellets? With my king kp60 it did good with propellets and not getting much build up in the pot(if at all) but the marth pellets i got from menards where bad with building up in the pot. Could be your pellets

In your other thread I posted the auger timing settings. How does this compare with your auger actually running? Can you look through vent holes in the back of the stove and see the auger motor run? Or will it run with a side panel open? Say you’re on heat range 1, are the on/off times about the same as what was posted for that? Of course there is a little spin down time for the motor but it should be in the ballpark . See how the other heat ranges compare too. If it’s extremely off then there’s a chance there is something wrong with the board which would be under warranty.

Another thing to check is by any chance has anything built a nest in your OAK? You should get obvious flame change while you adjust the damper. But if that air is obstructed then it won’t change much.

Last edited:
Ok here is an update. The 5790 circuit board is not capable of doing a self diagnostic test. So much for that. But here is what I did different on this run. I unhooked the cold air inlet from the outside & ran just room air into the unit. When I lit it I had the damper closed or about closed. I started it on level 1 & as soon as it fired off I flipped the damper to wide open. Ran it for a while on level One & then kicked it up to level Two for the rest of the burn. Apx 22 hours later I shut it down & opened it up...…. No clunkers in pot (everything burned to a Gray Ash) Best burn ever ! So I guess that's how I roll from now on, Damper full open. Fingers crossed & Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the update. Hope that’s all it needed to burn well.