Wouldn't think replacing a door gasket would be this hard - rant.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, so I picked up a new gasket from the Lopi dealer, and did the chore on Sunday.
Basically, I removed the old gasket, scraped out all the old cement, cleaned it up, applied a little water, and started the new gasket. When all was said and done, I looked over it and thought I did a very good job...and no cement on my finger/hands, lol.

So, I put the door back on the stove, and went to close the door....was very snug....probably a bit too snug....when I put the gasket on, I just laid it around the original spacing, being careful not to bunch it/stretch it, etc....

So, took out the owners manual, as it basically said that my door has 2 washers on the handle...if the door was too loose, use one washer...if too snug, use two washers....so I took the door handle off, and from the original installation there was only one washer....so I just get another washer, right? So I go to Ace/Lowes/Home Depot and spend hours trying to find one washer that will fit...none of them do....Travis is smart by making "custom" parts, and you can only buy parts at a dealer.....well, this is a real pain in the ass as I only need a FREAKIN WASHER....the problem with all the washers at lowes/home depot etc were that the outer part might have had the right diameter, but the inner hole was too small, and vice versa. (I know that there are some folks here with drill presses and such, and I guess if I had the right equipment I could have bought a washer with the correct outerside diameter, and then drilled the inner diameter to match...but I don't think I have the right tools)

So then, after working on the door a little more, there seemed to be a lot of play in the bottom of the door frame and where the door insert is placed over it....well, I looked at the bottom, and there are two holes for set screws, and the set screws were never installed. (Reason I can tell is that the threads are clean, and the paint is perfect on the door where the screw would have met the door frame)

So, I then printed off the parts page from Travis, and headed down to the Lopi Dealer.....well, had to go through 7 people before one would help me out as I am just a guy looking for parts, and they already have my money for the stove. (I realize that dealers are busy this time of year, but I had 5 people ask me if I needed help, and all 5 basically said, "oh, for parts..you have to talk to that guy over there"...Ok, 1 hour later, and there is only like one customer in the shop....I give them the part numbers and they say "we can't pull those up in the computer"...ok, so now I have been there like 1 1/4 hours, and I am just thinking is it that difficult to get 2 washers and 2 set screws.......gent #7 finally is able to help me out, and he finds the parts in the book. He said they are going to order them for me, but he is not sure about the price...I say, "how much can it be?, its 2 set screws and 2 washers"...he says he doesn't know. I ask how long its going to be, and he says it will be about a week for the parts to come in, and then it will be $12.95 additional for shipping!!!!..What?, let me get this straight, I bought the stove from you and you guys installed it....you forgot to put the 2 set screws in the door when installing, and only used 1 washer...."you know want me to pay for shipping for a $3200 install for parts that you never provided to me?"

Next stove I will buy is going to be one that I can get parts to readily fix things vs. buying from a mfg that requires you to go to a dealer.

Ok, I guess I feel better.

Sound like they had some parts left over when they built your door at the house. The set screw you refer looks like a standard size. I think I will take one out and go to Lowes and get a couple spares.

Your dealer sounds very underwhelming as well.

I was going to ask if I could take a set of set screws off one of the floor models, but after lookin at the bottoms of 5 Lopi's none of them had the screws installed...also, I didn't have a hex wrench on me :)

daveswoodhauler said:
I was going to ask if I could take a set of set screws off one of the floor models, but after lookin at the bottoms of 5 Lopi's none of them had the screws installed...also, I didn't have a hex wrench on me :)

I would seem the the door would move around a lot in the frame without the set screws. I guess they relied on the door handle to hold it in place. One would think this dealer had a plethora of those set screws laying around.

daveswoodhauler said:

Even when those set screws are installed they do come loose, before we get into the burning season I'll grab some commercial strength Loctite for the set screws.

Last year I noticed a set screw on the floor by the Liberty, I grabbed the manual and thats when I realized it came from the bottom. I did have more play in the door when we were missing the set screw so I did take off one of the washers.

zap

MarkinNC said:
daveswoodhauler said:

I would seem the the door would move around a lot in the frame without the set screws. I guess they relied on the door handle to hold it in place. One would think this dealer had a plethora of those set screws laying around.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out the same thing as it was only moving on the part away from the door handle...once I took off the handle, I realized that only the handle was keeping it on. Well, after checking with 6-7 folks there...they all indicated that they didn't have any set screws in stock...they just must toss them out the back.

The worst part is is that you could at least contact Travis via email for technical questions, as I asked abouy the wattage on my blower a few years back...now, they got rid of the email link completely....if you have a good deal, all is fine....if not, you are SOL. Buying and Englander for my next stove.

zapny said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Even when those set screws are installed they do come loose, before we get into the burning season I'll grab some commercial strength Loctite for the set screws.

Last year I noticed a set screw on the floor by the Liberty, I grabbed the manual and thats when I realized it came from the bottom. I did have more play in the door when we were missing the set screw so I did take off one of the washers.

zap

Thanks Zap...I get some locktite on mine when I get the parts....good idea as if you loose one they are tought to find...both on the floor and at the dealer, lol

daveswoodhauler said:
MarkinNC said:
daveswoodhauler said:

The worst part is is that you could at least contact Travis via email for technical questions, as I asked abouy the wattage on my blower a few years back...now, they got rid of the email link completely....if you have a good deal, all is fine....if not, you are SOL. Buying and Englander for my next stove.

Not sure if they would just redirect you to a dealer but there is an email address listed here.

http://www.travisindustries.com/contacts.aspx

[email protected]

zapny said:
daveswoodhauler said:

zap
Loktite won't help - heat is what releases it >:-(

Ugh, as a Lopi owner, that's depressing. I had noticed the lack of availability for service from them. It was easily resolved over the phone through the dealer, but I just kinda felt like there should be some kind of support from the company. I think their product is excellent and I watched all the videos from their website which gave me warm feelings about the company, but still. (My issue was whether to drill the collar of the liner adapter through the steel top of the stove with the self-tapping screws. - the answer was simple, yes, do it, but the dealer actually had to check before answering me, so I think it was not that obvious.) My dealer is over an hour away and I don't relish the idea of having to go down there should I need parts.... hmm.

I have to change my gasket too, and hope it's not problematic like yours!

Saw this when looking around to order parts online about Travis's online sale policy:

http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/900_ps_1990_97.htm

"Travis Ind. (the manufacture of Lopi, Avalon and FPX) policy is NO DEALER can NOT sell parts ONLINE to customers out of their service are. If Travis catches a dealer selling parts on-line they will threaten them with taking their dealership away of all Travis brands they sell. THIS HAPPENED TO US."

Well, I improvised a bit with my lack of tools, lol.
I couldn't stand the fact that I had to order specialty "washers" from the dealer, so I got some washers that were close.
Got out my best vice grips and broken black and decker work bench. Put the washer in the vice, then clamped it to the table.
Got our my crappy drill and drill bits and was able to make 2 replacement washers that fit both the insert door and allow the handle to pass through.
Door closes like it used to, and I am a very happy camper.
Can't want to see what the dealer wants to charge me for the set screws they forgot to put on in the first place :roll:

Do you know the size of the set screw? If I have one laying around I can drop a couple in an envelope.

Aaron

Aaron Pasteris said:
Do you know the size of the set screw? If I have one laying around I can drop a couple in an envelope.

Aaron

Thanks for the offer Aaron, but unfortunately I don't. I have a schematic of the whole door assembly, but Travis doesn't list the sizes of any of the parts. The dealer said it should take about 1 week, and now that I made a washer to fit my biggest concern is solved as I just wanted to be able to sue the unit and have the door close properly.
I'm thinking that even if I found te corect size, I am not sure if the threading would match...so I don't want to do any harm to the door.
Again, thanks very much for the offer....plenty of helpful people on this site.

zapny said:
daveswoodhauler said:

zap
Hey Zap,just where are those screws you are talking about located on your Liberty.I'd like to check mine to see if my screws are alright.Thanks.

Rich L said:
zapny said:
daveswoodhauler said:

zap
Hey Zap,just where are those screws you are talking about located on your Liberty.I'd like to check mine to see if my screws are alright.Thanks.

They should be on the bottom of your door. You should be able to just left the door of the hinge, and then flip it upside down. (If its like my Lopi)

From reading this, I would never buy a Lopi. Don't know the first thing about them, but....

If you have a vise and a drill, you can get a step drill [bit] for five bucks anywhere. You might want to pick one up anyway, they come in handy all the time. The vise would be to hold the washer while you drill it. You can do it with vice grips, etc., but it is easier with some way to hold it down.

Some yr. ago, my wife bought a Nissan. Brand new. I took it in for its 500-mile check and they charged me $60 for a check up that was "no charge." Turns out, they greased the car. Ok. But they had to put in four or five grease fittings to do it. I said, "HUH?" I was p-o'd big time. The guy at the service counter said, "Well, the cars are shipped without grease fittings and we have to put them in to, uh, grease the car, ok? Makes sense, don't you think? They ship with 'plugs' which have to be removed so we can install the fittings and you have to pay for the labor to remove the plugs and to install the fittings, the greasing is free." I said, Nissan ships new cars without grease fittings???

Never got over it [I know, I should get a life]. But we've had three cars since and never considered a Nissan and never, ever will. Plus, anyone looking at Nissans who tells me so, I explain about...grease fittings.

daveswoodhauler said:
Rich L said:
zapny said:
daveswoodhauler said:

zap

They should be on the bottom of your door. You should be able to just left the door of the hinge, and then flip it upside down. (If its like my Lopi)

Thanks,I just checked them and they're in place.I'll see if they need tightening as soon as I find my wrench.I'm also wondering if that high temperature caulking will help hold them in place?

A little dot of high temp paint will stop them from backing out

If the home made washers get ugly from the heat, shoot me a PM with the dimensions (plenty of 316 stainless stock and a desktop machine shop in the basement)

Treacherous said:
Saw this when looking around to order parts online about Travis's online sale policy:

http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/900_ps_1990_97.htm

"Travis Ind. (the manufacture of Lopi, Avalon and FPX) policy is NO DEALER can NOT sell parts ONLINE to customers out of their service are. If Travis catches a dealer selling parts on-line they will threaten them with taking their dealership away of all Travis brands they sell. THIS HAPPENED TO US."

Hmmm, that's a double negative in their first sentence! Do two nos make a yes?
(I know it doesn't - but it is a little weird, my Republic manual gives a part number for the gasket but not how long or wide the gasket should be! - I called my local Lopi dealer and they had no idea and have to call Lopi themselves to find out... I am pretty sure I heard from you guys on here that my stove takes a 7/8" gasket, but what a PITA, really. My local dealer supposedly deals in Lopi but I have never actually seen a travis product in there so I ended up buying my stove from a dealer an hour away who had one in stock and some I could look at. Sure would be helpful if Lopi had a LITTLE more customer service availability, I must say.)

The dealer makes or breaks the experience. My "good" local dealer is excellent. The stock almost everything. Things I have ordered have come in on time. They know there stuff and have an amazing showroom. They are almost 45 minutes from me. The "bad" dealer is ten minutes from me, didn't even have stove paint in stock, and has never gotten back to me on ordering some Simpson duravent parts I needed to complete my 17vl install. That was about 6 weeks ago. I'll probably never step foot in his place again, and have told this story to almost everyone who has seen my stoves.

Those parts should have simply been handed to you for free. That's the type of service I was used to but today the American stores want every overpriced dime they can get. No wonder everybody is buying foreign any more. Buy the whole unit super cheap and when something goes wrong, throw it out and get another.

you shouldnt have to pay for set screws, but the outer door frame casing has not much to do with how well the door seals. these little set screws can be found at most hardware stores for under a buck. The "door" itselfs if a cast frame with a glass and a handle, and a gasket. the two little screw points at the bottom of the door are just for the ouer aluminum trim. As far a a snug fit w/ a new gasket: it happens, just use it a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.