Would a seal tight Chimney top Damper Stop could air infiltration when fireplace not in use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucksandreds

Aug 31, 2016
Ohio
When fireplace is not on im getting cold air penetration through my wood burner into the house. Would this potentially stop this penetration?

Thanks

Yes. It actually has a silicone gasket that makes an airtight seal at the top. They are worth every penny.

Yes. It actually has a silicone gasket that makes an airtight seal at the top. They are worth every penny.

The OP has an insert, I believe... aren't these are made for standard fireplace flues (clay liners)? Never heard of it being used with a stainless liner and stove/insert.

When fireplace is not on im getting cold air penetration through my wood burner into the house. Would this potentially stop this penetration?

Thanks
My wood stove is in the basement and I have some serious downdraft (down the 6x6 clay liner), which leads to cold stinky air entering the room from my secondary air inlets on my EPA stove. I have researched these lock top chimney cap dampers. They are opened and closed with a chain that runs down the flue. Not sure how this would work running down into a air tight or EPA stove/insert. Plus if you have any bends in your stove pipe that might complicate things further.

The OP has an insert, I believe... aren't these are made for standard fireplace flues (clay liners)? Never heard of it being used with a stainless liner and stove/insert.
I did not realize that.

Lock top dampers won't work on an insert, they are for open fireplaces. They make them for liner applications, but it's still for an open fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.