Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
We had a customer call and ask if we made a flexible Catalytic Thermometer probe for their Sirocco 20.2 wood stove. I inquired as to why it needed to be flexible and they said it would not work with their 10" pipe. I then asked why they had 10" pipe. The response was to hide the "shiny pipe".

Please know this customer had been using the stove and has now STOPPED using the stove. They have been put in touch with a CSIA/NFI certified installer.

How many safety and code violations can you spot? We have advised the owner to seek help in this process with local authorities overseeing the "experioed installer" that performed this horrible install.

BKVP

Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever? Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever? Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever? Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever? Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever? Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever? Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever? Worst (Unsafe) Wood Stove Install Ever?

It would have been safer to vent it via the window.

Reactions: jaoneill
The sad part is stupid stuff like this isn't really as uncommon as you would think
I hope that sites like this at some point become the default "go to before installing" and consumers become very educated.

BKVP

Reactions: rottiman
🙈 🙊

Does he know he's lucky to still be alive?
I think he and his wife are extremely mellow and calm folks. They will get the install corrected....

Reactions: clancey and Diabel
Wow . . . just wow . . . there really are no words which can express what is shown here.

I'm working off the assumption that this wasn't a 10 year old kid trying to install the stove based off tik-tok memes... because that probably would have still turned out better. But the scariest part is how many other stoves, or other home improvement projects has this "experienced installer" worked on.

I'm working off the assumption that this wasn't a 10 year old kid trying to install the stove based off tik-tok memes... because that probably would have still turned out better. But the scariest part is how many other stoves, or other home improvement projects has this "experienced installer" worked on.
Far too many I am certain....

Reactions: SpaceBus
Might as well use Flex Seal. "Phil Swift here!"
Do they make high temp flex seal? ;lol
Roll some screen into a chimney pipe size/shape, coat it with high temp FS, BAM! :p
Surprised nobody has 3D printed custom pipe joints yet...

That's one of the more painful installs I have seen. What a shame that this was through a nice new metal roof.

Reactions: SpaceBus
That's one of the more painful installs I have seen. What a shame that this was through a nice new metal roof.
None of you can appreciate how respectful and calm these stove owners are....I tell the guy you need to refund 100% of what was paid plus any fees to correct cutting of rafters, joists, ceiling, roof etc.

None of you can appreciate how respectful and calm these stove owners are....I tell the guy you need to refund 100% of what was paid plus any fees to correct cutting of rafters, joists, ceiling, roof etc.
That's definitely more patience than I have!