Worn out gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HawkinsHollow

Sep 17, 2021
Tennessee
I am sorry if this has been covered but the search function on this forum is AWFUL so I couldn't find anything on the subject.

What is the worst that can happen if your stove was a mildly work out gasket? I really cannot see how if would be a serious safety threat.

Just curious.

It depends on the stove design and the degree of leakage. At first, it may result in an out-of-balance burn and blackening of the glass in the area of leakage. As it gets worse, burn times may get shorter and the wood may burn unequally. If the draft is already marginal, then secondary burn may suffer.

If the leakage is bad it can lead to an out of control fire because of excess unregulated air getting in. I had that happen by trying an aftermarket gaskets on our stove. The Rutland was too soft and leaked a bit. Then I went to a Meeco gold, supplied by the dealer. It was much too stiff and leaked badly. Replaced with an OEM gasket which has worked well.

@begreen, ever heard of glass cracking due to a gasket leak? After all the local temperature there might be considerably different from elsewhere on the window? Or is that just not enough for cracks? Just curious.

No I haven't. Ceramic glass is pretty thermal tolerant.

Reactions: stoveliker