Work from recent inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

indee

Jul 19, 2024
Northeast
Hi Guys,

Nice to meet you all! First time poster here who is learning about all things wood stoves, I'm looking for some general comments to help speed my education.

I semi-recently bought a house and had the wood stove and chimney inspected. They requested $$$ repairs, and I'm assessing which to pursue. Obviously I need a save wood burning setup, but I also recognize the financial interest of the companies suggesting "everything and anything" to drum up revenue.

The company that did the inspection is mentioned on https://www.csia.org/, and they have a lot of google reviews that seem well received.

Main suggestions:
  • Chimney rewaterproofing, some brick replacement, mortar regrinding, and a stainless steel cap
  • Flue replacement with insulated stainless steel
  • Stated wood stove had evidence of overfilling and should be replaced
Photo showing condition of chimney and cap:

He suggested the flue be replaced per these images:

Interior of VC resolute acclaim:

flue- looks like it has a liner now. if not then all the interior flue pipes have to be broken out prior to new insulated liner install. unless you really want to save that exterior chimney portion just knock it down to inside roof and then run standard insulated double wall pipe out- still have to reline, lot cheaper. Still likely 2-5 grand. Stove looks pretty rough, assessing from a couple pics is tuff . if it more than 10 years old just replace- better in long run. I have rebuilt 3 chimmneys over the years , 2 just for conventional heat( under a grand apiece), 1 to convert solid fuel use- mandated that it still had to look the same ( That one was $ 5000. ) First 2 I did myself, last one contracted out, that was the converted one.

Hi Guys,

Nice to meet you all! First time poster here who is learning about all things wood stoves, I'm looking for some general comments to help speed my education.

I semi-recently bought a house and had the wood stove and chimney inspected. They requested $$$ repairs, and I'm assessing which to pursue. Obviously I need a save wood burning setup, but I also recognize the financial interest of the companies suggesting "everything and anything" to drum up revenue.

The company that did the inspection is mentioned on https://www.csia.org/, and they have a lot of google reviews that seem well received.

Main suggestions:
  • Chimney rewaterproofing, some brick replacement, mortar regrinding, and a stainless steel cap
  • Flue replacement with insulated stainless steel
  • Stated wood stove had evidence of overfilling and should be replaced
Photo showing condition of chimney and cap:
View attachment 328440

He suggested the flue be replaced per these images:
View attachment 328438
View attachment 328439

Interior of VC resolute acclaim:
View attachment 328441
View attachment 328442
View attachment 328443
Other than waterproofing it all sounds right to me

Since almost everything needs to be replaced think about whether the location makes sense. You may want to consider a stove in the center of the house. I have an insert on one side of the house with an external chimney and the other side of the house can get pretty cold.

You probably need the brick work done in any case

Tom

flue- looks like it has a liner now. if not then all the interior flue pipes have to be broken out prior to new insulated liner install...
I don't think there is a liner, he mentioned terracotta? tiles. How do I tell for myself?

...unless you really want to save that exterior chimney portion just knock it down to inside roof and then run standard insulated double wall pipe out- still have to reline, lot cheaper. ...
I hadn't thought about that, I'll consider it. The chimney is about 8-10' from a second story (you can see in the background). Is the height necessary due to proximity near the second story.

Stove looks pretty rough, assessing from a couple pics is tuff . if it more than 10 years old just replace- better in long run....
Yeah, this is the hardest one in my mind because a new stove may require moving the thimble or interior brickwork. How should I know whether this stove is serviceable? His wording was pretty strong for extensive repairs, and his recommendation was replacement.

Since almost everything needs to be replaced think about whether the location makes sense. You may want to consider a stove in the center of the house. I have an insert on one side of the house with an external chimney and the other side of the house can get pretty cold.

You probably need the brick work done in any case

Tom
Well I hadn't even thought of abandoning the old location. I imaging that's a lot more $$? Abandoning the old location and having a brand new location put in?

I will note that the current location isn't that ideal, it's in corner of a mudroom attached to a 2 story, so to get heat into the main house we run a box fan...

We completely relocated our stove from a mudroom entry to a more ideal and central living room location. No regrets.

What is your intended usage mode?
24/7 main heat source?

If so I'd definitely put it where it gets you the most benefit. You'll be having less work on wood (more heat per split coming where you want it so less splits needed).
That also affects pricing; maybe the upfront cost is a bit higher but you'll be using less of your time (or less $$$ if buying wood) to heat your place over the long term.

The masonry chimney brickwork needs some, or a lot of rebuilding. The terracotta liner looks bad. If it's not smooth and crumbling that's unusable without a stainless steel liner.
As to the stove, If there are no cracks that let in air in it might work. But there are internal parts that maybe an issue.

If it's fixable and safe without a liner and using the existing stove, you could save a lot. But if your rebuilding all of what's there and replacing the stove, I would consider demo out the chimney and do a new free standing stove and new SS chimney in the same place.