Woodstove, no Liner, problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTburner117

Nov 22, 2020
MyaLou01
Hello,
We moved into our house, it was stripped to studs, everything but the chimney and woodstove is new. Existing chimney clears the roof peak by at least a foot and is clay lined. The Lopi Endeavor stove has a steel pipe going 3-4 feet up into clay lined chimney. This was the existing setup. I think this was done because the hearth is shallow and there’s no room for a liner trap for clean out. Any advice on if this is a safe setup or if a liner is needed would be much appreciated!

Woodstove, no Liner, problem? Woodstove, no Liner, problem?

Hello,
We moved into our house, it was stripped to studs, everything but the chimney and woodstove is new. Existing chimney clears the roof peak by at least a foot and is clay lined. The Lopi Endeavor stove has a steel pipe going 3-4 feet up into clay lined chimney. This was the existing setup. I think this was done because the hearth is shallow and there’s no room for a liner trap for clean out. Any advice on if this is a safe setup or if a liner is needed would be much appreciated!

View attachment 267513 View attachment 267514
Nope not safe

Reactions: CTburner117
Not even near safe.

Hello,

View attachment 267513 View attachment 267514
Is this a stone chimney (other than brick in the firebox) from cellar through roof? In first photo, what is the lintel, just below the stone edge, made of? Do you know approx. age of house?

Is this a stone chimney (other than brick in the firebox) from cellar through roof? In first photo, what is the lintel, just below the stone edge, made of? Do you know approx. age of house?
Brick inside and Stone exterior all the way up. The lintel is a steel slab. The chimney in question is part of a mid 80s addition. I found out locally that a liner to the top is code. So for insurance and safety purposes it sounds like that’s what we need to do. Just curious as to why it wasn’t done in the first place other than the obvious that it’s way cheaper. I was thinking it’s because the stove would need to come out past the hearth to fit a t connection for clean out. Attached a pic of the chimney from the outside. I think we have enough height for adequate draw but it might be level with peak. Thanks!

Woodstove, no Liner, problem?

Last edited:
Brick inside and Stone exterior all the way up. The lintel is a steel slab. The chimney in question is part of a mid 80s addition. I found out locally that a liner to the top is code. So for insurance and safety purposes it sounds like that’s what we need to do. Just curious as to why it wasn’t done in the first place other than the obvious that it’s way cheaper. I was thinking it’s because the stove would need to come out past the hearth to fit a t connection for clean out. Attached a pic of the chimney from the outside. I think we have enough height for adequate draw but it might be level with peak. Thanks!

View attachment 267581
Why would you need a tee? Just run the liner down onto the stove top like it is.

I had a similar situation when we bought our home. The stove went into a thimble that dumped into an old firebox for a fireplace that was covered in cobble stone, no liner. The old home-owners used to just send the brushes down and had a cleanout from the outside of the chimney, but obviously could not clean inside the fire box... or really even clean out what fell into the firebox properly. The firebox and was also covered in creosote. We had to take some of the stones out that covered the old firebox to clean it and install a liner. Just ended up putting a black metal plate for easy access to clean out the T we put behind it.

Attachments

• Woodstove, no Liner, problem?
    l-2.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 88
Black stove pipe is not allowed for this usage and it looks like they reduced it down in size to 5"? It needs a full, 6" stainless steel liner.

This is a nice stove, so good for you in asking the right questions and wanting to get this safe. If this is an older model check the condition of the secondary tubes under the baffle. The original model had steel tubes that had a relatively short lifespan. Check the tubes for warping and splitting. The replacements will be stainless.

Black stove pipe is not allowed for this usage and it looks like they reduced it down in size to 5"? It needs a full, 6" stainless steel liner.

This is a nice stove, so good for you in asking the right questions and wanting to get this safe. If this is an older model check the condition of the secondary tubes under the baffle. The original model had steel tubes that had a relatively short lifespan. Check the tubes for warping and splitting. The replacements will be stainless.
Thank you