Woodstove insert & stovepipe - new to this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

neb2886

Dec 21, 2011
MD
Hi, this is my first time posting so please bear with me.

I was given an insert for my standard masonry fireplace. I'm currently making a block plate for the 8" pipe that comes off the top of it.

For budget reasons I can't afford a stove pipe to run the entire length of the chimney and out the top (seems to be quite expensive, unless I've been looking at the wrong thing).

My question, is it OK for this winter to install the block plate and run the 3 feet or so of pipe up the chimney into the first flue tile or are there some serious safety issues to take into consideration?

I had the chimney swept and inspected and the sweep said that there are no issues with the current liner.

Thank you.

You will be ok, when running to the first tile cleaning the pipe and chimney is a pain, and since this is your first year you will want to keep a close eye on it for creosote build up.

What insert do you have? How is your wood, has it been seasoned (split/stacked for a year)?

That's often referred to as a "slammer" install. The only things I can think of: 1.) check local codes to make sure it's not expressly forbidden; 2.) make sure it wouldn't void any terms of your home owner's policy; 3.) when you sweep the flue, you have to remove the insert. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the response.

It is a Franklin, not sure of the exact model but it looks just like this (minus the legs and the gold knobs on top.

(broken link removed to http://images02.olx.com/ui/11/19/13/1303952247_193081613_1-Pictures-of--Franklin-Fireplace-Wood-Stove.jpg)

My wood is mostly red oak, white oak and cherry. I share a pile with my neighbor and its mostly been aged a year.

These Franklins are not very efficient and frankly not much better than an open fireplace, but should be somewhat of an improvement. I wouldn't burn it when you're out of the house or when you're sleeping (other than to let whatever is in the stove burn out). You are proposing what I believe is called a "direct connect". A "slammer" install does not have the pipe to the first flue tile, it is just "slammed" in the fireplace--much more dangerous. A direct connect is an accceptable installation for my PE Vista insert, although the full liner (which I have) is preferred and is much easier to clean, as noted above. The stainless steel liner for the flue is fairly expensive (average about $500 to $700 depending on how much you need).

This will be an inexpensive way to get into part-time woodburning. Take reasonable precautions, keep a close eye on creosote, and you should be fine. My guess is, if you find you like it, you will want to install a modern EPA-approved insert or stove next year with a liner. It will be much more efficient and easier to use and clean.

Pagey said:
That's often referred to as a "slammer" install. The only things I can think of: 1.) check local codes to make sure it's not expressly forbidden; 2.) make sure it wouldn't void any terms of your home owner's policy; 3.) when you sweep the flue, you have to remove the insert. Welcome to the forums!

Sorry, but I think if he goes to the first tile and has a hard block-off plate it is not a slammer, but a 'direct connect', quite legal in the US (but not Canada).

In a slammer, the pipe is often absent, and the air-seal is provided by the surround! (I know, the house I bought had a slammer, since upgraded).

EDIT: Sorry fredarm, you got there first.

Also: IF you wanted to go for a liner, you would get a (cheaper) 6", the old stove would likely work 'ok' with a 6" liner (and a 8-6 adapter), and then at a future date when you got a better stove (which would likely have a standard 6" output) you would be good to go in terms of venting. IOW, a 8" venting system is a bit of a white elephant (unless you NEED/WANT a rather large stove).

woodgeek said:
Pagey said:

Sorry, but I think if he goes to the first tile and has a hard block-off plate it is not a slammer, but a 'direct connect', quite legal in the US (but not Canada).

In a slammer, the pipe is often absent, and the air-seal is provided by the surround! (I know, the house I bought had a slammer, since upgraded).

Good point. I stand corrected. Sorry to the OP for the misuse of terminology. In any event, I'd be remiss to not point out the potential issues to consider.

Franklins are notorious for being hard to control and like to over fire so as mentioned you want to be careful running it. If this is a part time thing running it while you are at home and awake is generally preferred.

Do a search on here and read up on others experiences with this stove, it will give you an overview of what to look out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.