Woodstock Soapstone (factory welded seam stove pipe ?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd 2

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2012
NE Ohio
New PH should be here in about 3 weeks, was thinking about ordering their welded seam stove pipe.
Only need 2 - 2ft sections and a 90, so the expense is not a killer, they also say the pipe is safer than snap together, plus they paint it to match at no extra charge. :) Has anyone used it, or thoughts ?

Thanks, Todd 2

I am using their pipe. I also only have a little bit, but it is a nice, solid pipe. I don't like the snap together kinds and having them paint it to match the stove is a nice bonus. For the small amount you need, I'd say go for it!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not many find it fun to put those pipes together. :)

Reactions: dylskee
I am using their pipe. I also only have a little bit, but it is a nice, solid pipe. I don't like the snap together kinds and having them paint it to match the stove is a nice bonus. For the small amount you need, I'd say go for it!
Thankyou Sir for the info, thats what I was thinking.

I went with the matching single wall for my FV install. Decided to go double wall for the PH this time and I like the way it went together as well (I avoided the need for the heat shield on the back this way). Anyway, the pipe is much more solid than the pipe I had for my first stove and the matching paint is sure nice to boot. A bit more expensive, but I anticipate it will be a long term investment.

I went with the matching single wall for my FV install. Decided to go double wall for the PH this time and I like the way it went together as well (I avoided the need for the heat shield on the back this way). Anyway, the pipe is much more solid than the pipe I had for my first stove and the matching paint is sure nice to boot. A bit more expensive, but I anticipate it will be a long term investment.
Thanks Slow1, sounds like a good investment for the extra $ to me.

Have no idea about pricing. I went with ICC Double Wall and ordered a can of paint from Woodstock (when I got my Fireview), painted the pipe the same color as my stove. Put touch up paint on when I scratch the pipe taking it apart to sweep. Still have some paint left inn the original can about 7 years later. Ordered a couple of new cans with the PH last year. I have the light grey stove, and it looks great with matching stovepipe.

Reactions: Todd 2
Have no idea about pricing. I went with ICC Double Wall and ordered a can of paint from Woodstock (when I got my Fireview), painted the pipe the same color as my stove. Put touch up paint on when I scratch the pipe taking it apart to sweep. Still have some paint left inn the original can about 7 years later. Ordered a couple of new cans with the PH last year. I have the light grey stove, and it looks great with matching stovepipe.
Never thought of touch up paint, after cleaning scratches, will be adding that to the order. Thanks !

Agreed on the can of paint. I got one for my FV, the PH is the same color so plan to use it here too. Although I never did do much touch-up really... just used it to paint the thimble and screws to match the pipe. I do rather wish they would paint the screw heads to match as well (picky picky, I know...) Somehow I can pick out the black screws and don't like it so I took them out and painted them before install.

Just call it 2-toned Slow1! ;)

Reactions: Todd 2
Agreed on the can of paint. I got one for my FV, the PH is the same color so plan to use it here too. Although I never did do much touch-up really... just used it to paint the thimble and screws to match the pipe. I do rather wish they would paint the screw heads to match as well (picky picky, I know...) Somehow I can pick out the black screws and don't like it so I took them out and painted them before install.
I can relate to picky, my stove is in my basement, nothing fancy at all, not to many people will even see it, but I just want the install to look good probably because I spend so much time down there watching it burn and soaking up the heat. (stove passion) lol
Is this the first winter for your PH ?

I can relate to picky, my stove is in my basement, nothing fancy at all, not to many people will even see it, but I just want the install to look good probably because I spend so much time down there watching it burn and soaking up the heat. (stove passion) lol
Is this the first winter for your PH ?

I don't have a particularly good excuse for being picky - I"m just wired that way. Some have much less flattering ways of describing it :) Perhaps I just like things the way I like them when I believe I have some control, ha!

Yes, first winter with PH - in fact I"m doing my 4th seasoning fire right now as I type (yes I'm taking it extra slow... see prior comments). So far it burns nice, but with only minimal wood in there how can I really judge eh?

I don't have a particularly good excuse for being picky - I"m just wired that way. Some have much less flattering ways of describing it :) Perhaps I just like things the way I like them when I believe I have some control, ha!

Yes, first winter with PH - in fact I"m doing my 4th seasoning fire right now as I type (yes I'm taking it extra slow... see prior comments). So far it burns nice, but with only minimal wood in there how can I really judge eh?
I Know what you mean, after its broke in, load that baby up when its cold and test out them rated btu's & burn x's Has the smell a new stove puts off went away yet (being the 4th small burn) or was that gone after the first couple burns ? Curious because mine should be here in about 3 weeks and was wondering about my plan for the install, windows open 1/2 day, all day not sure cause I have only season fired new steel stoves.

I Know what you mean, after its broke in, load that baby up when its cold and test out them rated btu's & burn x's Has the smell a new stove puts off went away yet (being the 4th small burn) or was that gone after the first couple burns ? Curious because mine should be here in about 3 weeks and was wondering about my plan for the install, windows open 1/2 day, all day not sure cause I have only season fired new steel stoves.

Well, seeing as this is your thread I suppose continuing on the off-topic tangent is ok :)

I've been taking the seasoning process VERY slow simply out of an overabundance of caution. The first fire was just kindling and only took stovetop up to about 150* yet there was some sizzling and obvious wet areas particularly around the door so I know it did some good. Door was a bit 'stuck' when stove had cooled down but not a big deal and seems to work fine, I think some cement or some such just got stuck in there.

Second was a larger pile of kindling and a bit higher temp and I saw some wet areas in back of the stove (inside) near where the metal slanted top ends - no sizzling this time though.

Third I put a couple small splits in there as well under the kindling (doing top-down fires each time with 1/4 super cedar as starter) and actually got up to cat temp so I engaged it and I swear I saw some secondary burn in there to boot. Max temp wasn't much over 300 I don't think so it really wasn't much of a burn as it was about done with the flames when I engaged the cat. Stayed warm for quite a while.

Fourth (this one) I put in 4 splits (small/medium) as well as slightly less kindling (just enough to get it going). This time it definitely got up to cat engaged and I did see the secondaries burn for a bit. Warm outside (about 50*) so not ideal temps for draft etc - flame went out in stove when less than 1/2 on air, but would flame up when I adjusted air up. Too dark to look for smoke outside but temps on stovetop indicate it was burning the cat. After down to coals I checked surface temp and the stones were reading 300+, out of curiosity I lifted the middle stone and checked the cooktop under with the IR gun and it read something like 450-500 so clearly it was good and hot in there.

As to the smell - each burn so far has had some smell - seems to be different with each one. It has not been unbearable and we have not opened any windows as a result. Then again - I haven't cranked up the heat yet either. I suspect that I'll get smell (as usual) every time I hit a new high temp so I'm prepared for more in the next few burns.

I'm not sure if I'm going to consider myself done with seasoning or not. I didn't see any moisture during this 4th burn or hear any sizzling so perhaps it is all done now - I'll inspect the inside of the box and make a decision later. Perhaps the weather will decide for me in the end as tonight's fire was enough to take the house up 3-4 degrees and the wife thought it was a bit warm - so enough for today!

Well, seeing as this is your thread I suppose continuing on the off-topic tangent is ok :)

I've been taking the seasoning process VERY slow simply out of an overabundance of caution. The first fire was just kindling and only took stovetop up to about 150* yet there was some sizzling and obvious wet areas particularly around the door so I know it did some good. Door was a bit 'stuck' when stove had cooled down but not a big deal and seems to work fine, I think some cement or some such just got stuck in there.

Second was a larger pile of kindling and a bit higher temp and I saw some wet areas in back of the stove (inside) near where the metal slanted top ends - no sizzling this time though.

Third I put a couple small splits in there as well under the kindling (doing top-down fires each time with 1/4 super cedar as starter) and actually got up to cat temp so I engaged it and I swear I saw some secondary burn in there to boot. Max temp wasn't much over 300 I don't think so it really wasn't much of a burn as it was about done with the flames when I engaged the cat. Stayed warm for quite a while.

Fourth (this one) I put in 4 splits (small/medium) as well as slightly less kindling (just enough to get it going). This time it definitely got up to cat engaged and I did see the secondaries burn for a bit. Warm outside (about 50*) so not ideal temps for draft etc - flame went out in stove when less than 1/2 on air, but would flame up when I adjusted air up. Too dark to look for smoke outside but temps on stovetop indicate it was burning the cat. After down to coals I checked surface temp and the stones were reading 300+, out of curiosity I lifted the middle stone and checked the cooktop under with the IR gun and it read something like 450-500 so clearly it was good and hot in there.

As to the smell - each burn so far has had some smell - seems to be different with each one. It has not been unbearable and we have not opened any windows as a result. Then again - I haven't cranked up the heat yet either. I suspect that I'll get smell (as usual) every time I hit a new high temp so I'm prepared for more in the next few burns.

I'm not sure if I'm going to consider myself done with seasoning or not. I didn't see any moisture during this 4th burn or hear any sizzling so perhaps it is all done now - I'll inspect the inside of the box and make a decision later. Perhaps the weather will decide for me in the end as tonight's fire was enough to take the house up 3-4 degrees and the wife thought it was a bit warm - so enough for today!
Please excuse my newness (how to's & how not's) on this site, Im learning, and thanks for the great info. sounds like a good break-in process to follow also, a little hotter each fire with cool offs in between to scope things out.
I admire your pickyness (and eye for quality workmenship):) Thanks again, Todd 2

Please excuse my newness (how to's & how not's) on this site, Im learning, and thanks for the great info. sounds like a good break-in process to follow also, a little hotter each fire with cool offs in between to scope things out.
I admire your pickyness (and eye for quality workmenship):) Thanks again, Todd 2

Heh - no problem. You know we all love talking about our stoves etc. This is your topic - take it whereever you want I figure.

The manual just says something like "several small fires" not really specific. Our cool but not cold weather here is also contributing to this process to be honest - if I were to have built a very large fire already then I expect we'd have been roasted out of the house. Then again, maybe we could have opened windows to let the smell out... hmmm.. ok, so maybe that wouldn't be so bad after all.. Sounds like a good Friday night task eh? Hehe.

I do like the stove so far I have to say - the air control really does seem to make a difference even with these small fires. I can let them burn large and free or turn it down and see them just about out, then burst back. Now one thing I noticed this morning is that I do have some brown showing on the sides of the glass. Others have reported some dirty glass during break-in fires as well so I'm not surprised - I must be making progress eh? Perhaps if I let it rip tonight that will all burn off.

Slow1:

You're gonna love the Progress. I have not been disappointed in the longer burn times and increased heat output relative to the Fireview. I just got my flue insulated and wow what a difference, it burns so much better. Let us know how you do.

You're gonna love the Progress. I have not been disappointed in the longer burn times and increased heat output relative to the Fireview. I just got my flue insulated and wow what a difference, it burns so much better. Let us know how you do.

Hey Tony. I don't want to hijack, but I'm interested in how that insulated flue is working out for you and how it's affects the PH performance. Maybe I see a "insulated flue, what a difference!" thread in your future. ;)

Reactions: rideau
Waulie:
Great idea, I will post a thread about my positive experience insulating the flue. I just wrote to the Woodstock guys to let them know how happy I am. I feel like the Progress just got 2 notches better.

Hijacking is more than welcome here guys, Tony, you just answered my next question, to or not to insulate a flue liner, sounds like its a big plus !
Next question I have been thinking about was ridged pipe or smooth wall flex. Have straight shot so both would work.
Slow1, thanks again for the detailed info, gives me some heads up on sorta what to expect. :)

Heh - no problem. You know we all love talking about our stoves etc. This is your topic - take it whereever you want I figure.

The manual just says something like "several small fires" not really specific. Our cool but not cold weather here is also contributing to this process to be honest - if I were to have built a very large fire already then I expect we'd have been roasted out of the house. Then again, maybe we could have opened windows to let the smell out... hmmm.. ok, so maybe that wouldn't be so bad after all.. Sounds like a good Friday night task eh? Hehe.

I do like the stove so far I have to say - the air control really does seem to make a difference even with these small fires. I can let them burn large and free or turn it down and see them just about out, then burst back. Now one thing I noticed this morning is that I do have some brown showing on the sides of the glass. Others have reported some dirty glass during break-in fires as well so I'm not surprised - I must be making progress eh? Perhaps if I let it rip tonight that will all burn off.

It sounds like you did the break-in very similar to what you did with the Fireview and that is fine.

Todd II:

About Ridged vs Smoothwall flex, I'm not sure how much difference there is, but I can tell you I INSISTED when my chimney guy ordered my pipe it was ridged. I don't see how a straight shot of solid smooth pipe can't beat any kind of flex for a better draft. The chimney guys will give you a song and a dance that "flex is better because..." but I don't buy it - Flex is just easier to install than rigid and that's why they like it.

Todd II:

About Ridged vs Smoothwall flex, I'm not sure how much difference there is, but I can tell you I INSISTED when my chimney guy ordered my pipe it was ridged. I don't see how a straight shot of solid smooth pipe can't beat any kind of flex for a better draft. The chimney guys will give you a song and a dance that "flex is better because..." but I don't buy it - Flex is just easier to install than rigid and that's why they like it.
Thats what I was thinking, plus solid smooth wall would clean better and easier than something that has a spiraled seam even though its sorta flat inside. Thanks, Toddd2

Status
Not open for further replies.