Woodstock Fireview vs. Blaze King 1107??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Boys & Girls,

I was wondering if you could produce some insight on the pros and cons of both of these fine stoves?

As some of you may or may not know I have been comparing wood consumption with Backwoods Savage,"Dennis" for the last two seasons.

We live about an hour away from each other so the climate is basically identical and we have virtually the same square footage.

My Englander 30 digests 2 times the amount of wood then Dennis Woodstock Fireview per season.

I bought an Englander 13 (still new never installed) as a second stove when the temps dip below zero. But now I'm thinking about getting either the Woodstock Fireview or the Blaze King 1107 and using it as my primary and the Englander 30 as my secondary.

My buddy just bought a house so the 13 may just get a new home with him.

I'm in the process of remodeling my house. So I'm trying to get an idea of what my future purchase will be and the size of the stove pipe(6" or 8") & hearth I will be designing and building.

I would appreciate any feedback concerning these two stoves.

Thank you Thank you! :cheese:

Hiram

Do the houses have comparable floor plans and insulation? I've read that things as simple as the direction it faces could make a difference as large as 30% in heating costs due to solar gain. The article I'm referring to used 2 houses with the same floor plan, in the same subdivision. I wish I had kept the link. I don't think they mentioned trees that may be blocking sun, etc.

There is a big difference between the Fireview and BK 1107. The BK has twice as big firebox and needs a 8" chimney. It may be better for you to have the large BK instead of burning two stoves to heat the same area? How much square footage are you trying to heat?

Todd said:
There is a big difference between the Fireview and BK 1107. The BK has twice as big firebox and needs a 8" chimney. It may be better for you to have the large BK instead of burning two stoves to heat the same area? How much square footage are you trying to heat?

2020 sq ft

I would agree that you are comparing apples to oranges, the princess from BK would be closer but still significantly larger than anything from woodstock. Woodstock doesn't make a large stove so the blaze king king at double the firebox size will be superior in burn times and also in range of possible heat output.
The blaze king is superior in that it has a thermostat for automatic temperature control, a larger firebox for longer burns, more ash storage for less frequent cleanouts, and a larger firebox for easier loading and larger wood size. The BK is a convection stove with a large blower that is made to make hot air which will circulate through your home vs. the woodstock which is a radiant stove by design and is best at heating the room it is in. The woodstock has huge clearance to combustible requirements and is rear vent only.

The woodstock looks better but that is subjective. Both companies have a long history and a long list of happy customers. Similar price too. You can buy a blaze king locally vs. mail order for the woodstock.

The 8" flue size is a problem with these large cat stoves. The princess model uses 6" flue and is everything that the king model is but smaller, still much larger than the fireview.

My next stove will be the princess or the fireview. I can't even decide. We love the looks and feel of soapstone but can't ignore the superior utility of the blaze king. If you are currently running Englander stoves then I suspect that you are a utility type of guy and will be better served by the blaze king.

Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

2020 sq ft

The woodstock company has decided that your house is too large to be heated. They make no product rated to heat your home. The fireview is rated for 900-1600 SF only. The woodstock must be 18" from the back wall and side loaded.

The BK king is rated for "2000+ SF" and the princess is rated for "1500+SF" The BK models must only be 6" from the back wall and is front loaded.

Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

2020 sq ft

If it were me, I'd go for the big BK King. Like Highbeam mentions the Fireview would probably be a little on the small side even though those Woodstock numbers are probably pretty conservative, some people in northern climates claim to heat over 2000 sq ft with it. I'm heating 1800 sq ft and it is sufficient 90-95% of the time, but there are times I wished I had a larger stove or an insert for my fireplace upstairs. With the big King you wouldn't have to worry about any back up stove, it should be able to handle that load all by itself. Also being a cat stove with a thermostatic control will help control the output in the warmer shoulder seasons.

Highbeam said:
My next stove will be the princess or the fireview. I can't even decide. We love the looks and feel of soapstone but can't ignore the superior utility of the blaze king. If you are currently running Englander stoves then I suspect that you are a utility type of guy and will be better served by the blaze king.

Ha, great minds think a like! Every time I read these threads about Blaze King I want one, but only if it was made of soapstone. I'm struggling to hold on til Woodstock comes out with their big stove, I hear it's in the works.

Highbeam said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

2020 sq ft

The woodstock company has decided that your house is too large to be heated. They make no product rated to heat your home. The fireview is rated for 900-1600 SF only. The woodstock must be 18" from the back wall and side loaded.

The BK king is rated for "2000+ SF" and the princess is rated for "1500+SF" The BK models must only be 6" from the back wall and is front loaded.

The stove will go next to a sandstone wall on the backside of the fireplace. So clearance is no problem

Dennis seems to do just fine heating his place! :cheese:

It does seem like the Blaze king would maybe fit the bill better????

Before you go through all of that, why not move the 30 over there into the open and see what happens? That and block off those two damned "zipper" air holes that let it burn too hot and too fast.

Believe me, the stove is a whole nother controllable animal with those holes blocked and the "zipper" sitting on a shelf in the garage. Controllable like a pre-EPA stove but burns nice and clean.

BrotherBart said:
Before you go through all of that, why not move the 30 over there into the open and see what happens? That and block off those two damned "zipper" air holes that let it burn too hot and too fast.

Believe me, the stove is a whole nother controllable animal with those holes blocked and the "zipper" sitting on a shelf in the garage. Controllable like a pre-EPA stove but burns nice and clean.

I have thought about moving the 30 out into the open. However I would like to get better burn time than 8 to 10 hours. Plus I kind of like the thought of trying a catalytic stove.

My Englander paid for itself the first year(2006/2007) no problem. I'm tired of cutting splitting,hauling,stacking hauling, stacking, & loading! It would be worth the $$ IMHO to do all that half as much......don't you agree?

Bart.....how about some pics of what your talk 'n' about?

Thank you! Hiram :)

Nothing that I can actually take a pic of Hiram. Just behind each front leg is a round hole in the bottom of the stove. These feed unregulated air into the thing sticking up in the front center of the stove. Great for passing EPA tests that won't let you cut the air down too far but a pain in the butt when it acts like a blowtorch right into the load of wood. I just put a couple of magnets over the holes, removed the "zipper/doghouse/whatever" (two screws hold it in) and filled the space with a small piece of 304 stainless steel. You can't do the cowboy "close it all the way down" stuff but I know how to open and close a primary air control and leaving it at just the right place is fine with me. :smirk:

To try it just put the magnets over the holes and leave the thing sticking up in the front of the stove. I took it out because it allows an even distribution of the primary airwash across the front of the whole load of wood. In fact without the thing you finally GET even distribution.

Of course as always, your mileage may vary. But anymore I don't mess with packing it full. I load three really large splits N/S and let it do its thing. Want it hot, give it more air. Want it cruising lower, turn down the air.

I guess this is a must try!

how thick was the 304?

did you drill and tap it or just drill it a little over the treads major Ø?

Thanks for your reply.

Didn't drill anything. Just cut the piece slightly wider than the hole left in the distribution place and slid it into place under the plate in the space left by removing the zipper. This year I am going to make it official by cutting a piece the same width as the distribution plate and placing it on top of it. The distribution plate on mine had two bad spot welds from the factory anyway so I am going to attach the whole thing with stainless sheet metal screws.

Just try it with the holes blocked first. I may be the only 30 owner on the planet that likes the way it burns that way. %-P

I have thought about moving the 30 out into the open. However I would like to get better burn time than 8 to 10 hours. Plus I kind of like the thought of trying a catalytic stove.

My Englander paid for itself the first year(2006/2007) no problem. I'm tired of cutting splitting,hauling,stacking hauling, stacking, & loading! It would be worth the $$ IMHO to do all that half as much......don't you agree?

As much as I like the idea of the cat and blaze king, I don't think you are going to see a 50% reduction in wood fuel use by replacing your englander 30. That englander is an epa stove, and would only be a little less effiecient than the blaze king.

Now the blaze king should give you longer and lower burning for longer burn times, the thermostatic control should make it easier to control, and that king sized firebox holds a lot of wood, but don't count on using half the wood in it compared to your englander.[/quote]

daleeper said:

As much as I like the idea of the cat and blaze king, I don't think you are going to see a 50% reduction in wood fuel use by replacing your englander 30. That englander is an epa stove, and would only be a little less effiecient than the blaze king.

Now the blaze king should give you longer and lower burning for longer burn times, the thermostatic control should make it easier to control, and that king sized firebox holds a lot of wood, but don't count on using half the wood in it compared to your englander.
[/quote]

Yeah, I had a 25% reduction when I switched from Hearthstone to Woodstock, but it still equaled a full cord of wood which is a pretty fair amount of work. I think Dennis was burning a pre EPA stove so his wood consumption was much more.

BrotherBart said:
Didn't drill anything. Just cut the piece slightly wider than the hole left in the distribution place and slid it into place under the plate in the space left by removing the zipper. This year I am going to make it official by cutting a piece the same width as the distribution plate and placing it on top of it. The distribution plate on mine had two bad spot welds from the factory anyway so I am going to attach the whole thing with stainless sheet metal screws.

Just try it with the holes blocked first. I may be the only 30 owner on the planet that likes the way it burns that way. %-P

Yikes, don't tell Mike at Englander about this, he may have a conniption! :lol:

You are correct Todd. Our old stove was an Ashley. With the Fireview we cut our wood consumption in half and stay much warmer.

Hiram, that BK just might be a better stove for you too simply because of the larger firebox. I know if Woodstock ever makes one with a bigger firebox we will probably get one just to extend the burn even longer.

Backwoods Savage said:
You are correct Todd. Our old stove was an Ashley. With the Fireview we cut our wood consumption in half and stay much warmer.

Hiram, that BK just might be a better stove for you too simply because of the larger firebox. I know if Woodstock ever makes one with a bigger firebox we will probably get one just to extend the burn even longer.

Dennis,

Hopefully the new insulation will make a difference. But I just cannot get over the amount of wood I burn when compared to you.
Granted your wood is more seasoned.

But when you told me I was almost caught up to you with my wood supply........well It really got me thinking. I have enough wood for 4 years on my property or in theory,if I had a stove like your an 8 year supply..... ;-)

I live in suburbia, so my space is limited! I guess I have a 1 1/2 years with a 30% $ back incentive to decide?

Thanks for discussing this guys.......most appreciated.

Dennis having better seasoned wood will make a difference in itself. But you would not be burning as much as you are with a good cat stove.

Since you mention you want longer than 8 to 10 hour burns, my guess is you're often burning the 30 pretty low. If this is the case, a cat stove will certainly conserve wood for you. Secondary burn stoves (such as your 30) burn very efficiently at a good clip, but at a low burn they are often too cool to reignite the secondaries, so your so of your heat goes up in smoke. The cat solves this problem. If you're looking for long burns with minimum wood consumption, a cat stove is the answer. I love the Woodstock's Fireview, but it's too small to effectively heat 2000+ sq ft in your climate and still get long burn times. It works well for Dennis, but I suspect Dennis and his family probably have more time to tend to the stove than you do. Your only real option is the BK. Like Todd, I would suggest going with a BKK given your sq ft and desire for long burn times. The automatic thermostat is a dream, so you can basically fill it once or twice a day and walk away. If looks are a concern, look into the Parlor model, it's actually a nice looking stove in person. Don't waste your money on the ash dump, it's useless and the BKK will hold about a cord worth of ashes before it needs shoveling out anyway, and it's easy to shovel ash with this stove. Living in MI, I'm sure you can find the BKK Parlor for under $2500. You have to shop around all over for a good deal on BK stoves. I got prices from $1975 to $3600 for the exact same stove, so do a lot of calling around! Even at $2500, you'll get back $750 for the tax credit and I'm sure you can sell your 30 for $500 pretty easily... so you'll looking at an out of pocket expense of $1250 or less... which is a no-brainer IMO.

BTW, you definitely wont need the 30 for secondary heating with the BKK in the house!!!

Hiram Maxim said:
Boys & Girls,

I was wondering if you could produce some insight on the pros and cons of both of these fine stoves?

As some of you may or may not know I have been comparing wood consumption with Backwoods Savage,"Dennis" for the last two seasons.

We live about an hour away from each other so the climate is basically identical and we have virtually the same square footage.

My Englander 30 digests 2 times the amount of wood then Dennis Woodstock Fireview per season.

I bought an Englander 13 (still new never installed) as a second stove when the temps dip below zero. But now I'm thinking about getting either the Woodstock Fireview or the Blaze King 1107 and using it as my primary and the Englander 30 as my secondary.

My buddy just bought a house so the 13 may just get a new home with him.

I'm in the process of remodeling my house. So I'm trying to get an idea of what my future purchase will be and the size of the stove pipe(6" or 8") & hearth I will be designing and building.

I would appreciate any feedback concerning these two stoves.

Thank you Thank you! :cheese:

Yo,the Fireview can't burn anywhere as long as the Large Blaze king.I easily get 14-16 hr of good heat from my Blaze King.From Oct- April I used 89 gals.of oil in an poorly insulated house which is now being slowly insulated.I returned the Fireview and got the Blaze King.The Blaze King has an 8" flue and I have it going into a 6" pipe so it's not even set up according to specs and I still get long heat times.

Hiram

I also looked hard into the Blaze King Princess and Fireview. I went with the Fireview for a couple of reasons. 1. The looks. 2. The price. Last winter I remember getting quoted close to $3000 for a Princess from a local dealer. I only checked one place but that was enough for me(I know, I should have called around but I saw the retail price). I stretched myself thin and got the Fireview for just over $2k by picking it up at the factory. With their once in a lifetime sale, discount for picking it up yourself, and no tax... I easily saved $1k. What is the average price going for a Blazeking Princess or King model these days? If I remember correctly, u are suppossed to use double wall with a blaze king and that is an xtra 100-200 for the pipe. For me, I know I will be happy with either stove. I only have 1600 sq ft of ranch with average insulation to heat. Last reason, I really liked the people at Woodstock. I felt that if I had a problem down the road, they would take care of it.

Check the For Sale section BKK Ultra Nickle Door

Status
Not open for further replies.