Wood/Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MRD1985

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2023
I just cut this tree in my yard. It looks identical to a mulberry but does not produce the berries. It used to flower with flowers just like a rose of Sharon hibiscus. But I have be never seen one this large. Thoughts?

IMG_1904.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1901.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

View attachment IMG_1880.jpeg

View attachment IMG_1876.jpeg

View attachment IMG_1875.jpeg

Last edited:
I have small tree shoots that look just like that. They grow super fast like 4-5 ft in a couple months. I keep hacking them down but they are very persistent in pushing up more shoots. Not sure what it is though?

I have small tree shoots that look just like that. They grow super fast like 4-5 ft in a couple months. I keep hacking them down but they are very persistent in pushing up more shoots. Not sure what it is though?
This one did the same thing. Grows fast and it will grow several more branches for every one I cut off. I was trimming it heavily for a while and got tired of it. It was out of control. I’m putting 2 semi dwarf apple trees in that area that I can keep in check.

It’s heavy and has a white cream colored sap.

This one did the same thing. Grows fast and it will grow several more branches for every one I cut off. I was trimming it heavily for a while and got tired of it. It was out of control. I’m putting 2 semi dwarf apple trees in that area that I can keep in check.

It’s heavy and has a white cream colored sap.

If it does not sprout from the roots, like a maple or quaking aspen does, you might be able to kill it like I kill buckthorn.

I cut the buckthorn, then use a dauber to apply concentrated glyphosate to the stump end. If it is a big one, I only treat the sap wood/bark ring and the ends of any suckers I cut. If it is a small one (most buckthorn are) I treat the whole cut face. It is nice because it is a very targeted, precise application of weed killer. I don't like spraying poison all over the place.

The dauber I am talking about is similar to this:

It has worked very well.

Reactions: bigealta
If it does not sprout from the roots, like a maple or quaking aspen does, you might be able to kill it like I kill buckthorn.

I cut the buckthorn, then use a dauber to apply concentrated glyphosate to the stump end. If it is a big one, I only treat the sap wood/bark ring and the ends of any suckers I cut. If it is a small one (most buckthorn are) I treat the whole cut face. It is nice because it is a very targeted, precise application of weed killer. I don't like spraying poison all over the place.

It has worked very well.

I cut it out completely roots and all

IMG_1902.jpeg

It has worked very well.
Yes i need to use something like that. The tree weed and poison ivy are both growing from the middle of my hydrangea clumps.

If it's ok to burn pine it too should be fine to burn? Tree of heaven is the 1 tree i would not burn.
Does it split easily?

Haven’t even tried to split it yet. I have only burned good stuff in the stove, oak, ash, maple, hickory etc. I have plenty of wood right now but if I could ID this thing and it has good BTU I’d keep it. If not right to the city dump.

Google lens is showing Black Mulberry as a good possibility.

The rose of sharon flowers though don't match?

It's definitely not a huge rose of sharon.

Reactions: patrickk222
Google lens is showing Black Mulberry as a good possibility.

The rose of sharon flowers though don't match?
That’s what’s throwing me. The flowers looked like just like rose of Sharon’s. Everything else points to mulberry 🤔

Definitely a yellow wood. Yellow saw chips everywhere

Last edited:
I'm going with a Male White Mulberry. 40% confident. Ha.

Update: now 90% confident. With the info below.
Update 2: now 95% confident.

Last edited:
Reactions: River
The tree also has this leaf on it? If so has to be a mulberry.
Wood/Tree ID

go to 3:25 to see leaves.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Not sure the males produce berries?
Google says no berries for males.

Yup Male White Mulberry.

Reactions: stoveliker
Among the best!

Surprised it's so good to burn with those huge growth rings.

I guess that posses the question "What actually makes wood better or worse to burn, with a focus on the highest BTU's.?"
Weight, tightness of grain, slow grow, fast grow, chemical make up, sapwood percentage grain structure/pattern etc..?
(probably should start a new thread for that.)

Reactions: stoveliker
Among the best!
Mulberry - Lighter per cord with more BTU's than both Red and White Oak!

Edit Hold on.... Getting different BTU ratings from other sites. Guess this is not accurate info. Either way though the mulberry still rates high up for BTU's.

That's crazy.

Last edited: