Wood Stove Vs Outdoor Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nakoma

Nov 26, 2022
Kentucky
Hello everyone I'm planing to build a stove or an outdoor woodboiler to heat my 20x100 high tunnel, i just built a double barrel stove..also have a hot blast ..but im needing to build something, i can fill up and it last for 12 hours untill i get home from work. does anyone have any ideas? ive not been to lucky finding a propane tank so ill have to start from mild steel.. i have to admit the hotblast has crappy burn times.. I lives in East KY i need to keep my temps ar 65 propane is just to costly would love to hear everyones ideas

An outdoor boiler is much more.work and much more expensive.
Get a stove.

Hello everyone I'm planing to build a stove or an outdoor woodboiler to heat my 20x100 high tunnel, i just built a double barrel stove..also have a hot blast ..but im needing to build something, i can fill up and it last for 12 hours untill i get home from work. does anyone have any ideas? ive not been to lucky finding a propane tank so ill have to start from mild steel.. i have to admit the hotblast has crappy burn times.. I lives in East KY i need to keep my temps ar 65 propane is just to costly would love to hear everyones ideas

if i were to need 190k btu an hour or 200k btu an house and wanted to use one stove what size firebox would you use? i have access to all the firewood i need.. and can buy coal. i just need something to keep it at 65 for 12 hours

Hm, then no stove that I'm aware of

I agree, that is a commercial load. There are commercial pellet boilers with bulk tanks and stoker feeders that can put out that sort of heat. Froling has their wood chip boilers that use their precision dried wood chips. https://www.frolingenergy.com/small-commercial
Messersmith has their chip fired boiler https://burnchips.com/products/automated-outdoor-wood-boiler/

Although I have seen stoker fed wood boilers they are rare and mostly one off. Long ago I worked a few hours on large wood fired boiler with huge thermal storage tank for a large greenhouse but it was an one off. It might have 12 hours of thermal capacity but the other 12 hours required a couple of folks to be feeding it for several hours to charge it back up.