Wood Stove Recommendation please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

backs1de

Feb 20, 2021
Portland, or
Hello there,

we bought a house a few years ago and the wood stove was removed due to it not meeting EPA standards and we never bothered replacing it since we had electrical in wall heaters, with the recent Oregon storms we lost power for a week so the necessity for the wood stove really hit home for us.

house already has a hearth and 8”flue pipe that is capped so I’m just looking for recommendations on stoves, the few stores I went to were useless when it came to recommendations they just recommended buying the most expensive model they had.

I have a 2 story house with about 1500sq feet, and would like to use the stove as the primary heat source downstairs (not sure if the heat would reach upstairs)

I was looking at the Hearthstone Green Mountain 60, the local store quoted me $1700 for it and didn’t even mention there is a tax credit but I would like other suggestions or if this is even a good model.

Install looks simple, I’m guessing I just plop it down and hook up the stove pipe since everything was already hooked up before? (My daughter will miss her “play area” as you can see from the pictures haha.

Would you guys recommend I have the chimney cleaned or inspected? It’s been 3 years since we bought the house and I have no idea what condition it’s in.

thank you in advance!!

Wood Stove Recommendation please Wood Stove Recommendation please

Have the chimney inspected before you go any further. That will decide if it's just a new stove, or new stove and chimney. Obviously a big difference in cost between the 2.

Reactions: backs1de
Have the chimney inspected before you go any further. That will decide if it's just a new stove, or new stove and chimney. Obviously a big difference in cost between the 2.

that was my first thought also, I took the cap off and it looks rather dirty. So I’ll get it inspected/cleaned for sure but any recommendation beyond that?

A reputable sweep/company will be able to advise if the chimney is then safe to connect to a new stove.

What I'm not sure of is whether you can connect a stove with a 6" collar to an 8" chimney in the US. I'm not sure how your code works in that regard, which will play a large role in what stoves you can choose from, as most are 6".