Wood Stove Pipe/Chimney Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kafox

Dec 20, 2018
MA
Hello!

I am trying to correct a few issues with the wood stove that was installed by previous owners.

First, recently I noticed I could feel cold air blowing into the house in the gap in between the trim ring and the chimney. I removed the trim ring to find that there isn't any sort of insulation shield or anything around the outside of the chimney. The cold air seems to be coming from a gap in the insulation from the joist bay to the left. The chimney is not centered in the joist bay, so I don't have a lot of room to do much and keep the 2" clearance required. What are my options for correcting this and stopping the air infiltration around the chimney? I really would like to avoid removing the chimney if at all possible. It seems like most insulation shields out there are required to be installed prior to installing the chimney.

Second, the ceiling trim around the chimney seems sloppy and incomplete to me. I particularly don't like the large gap on one side of the trim ring and the fact that so much of the chimney is showing below the ceiling. I have looked into a ceiling support box like THIS to hide the chimney, but these usually need to be installed prior to the chimney since they are really meant to support it. We have a roof supported install so I am really just looking for something decorative to hide the chimney section.

Pics of chimney/stovepipe: HERE

Any ideas on both would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I can see them. Looks like it is Supervent Class A but not positive. The correct adapter wasnt used to connect the stovepipe to the Supervent. Also, you could probably use a support box in the ceiling and use part number JUSI to insulate the support box. You could omit the support band as you do not need support and would make installation easy. The trim for the support box is thinner and would look better IMO.

The support box you show is a different brand. Cant be used. You need the supervent cathedral ceiling support box and possibly an attic insulation shield too.

Last edited:
I can see them. Looks like it is Supervent Class A but not positive. The correct adapter wasnt used to connect the stovepipe to the Supervent. Also, you could probably use a support box in the ceiling and use part number JUSI to insulate the support box. You could omit the support band as you do not need support and would make installation easy. The trim for the support box is thinner and would look better IMO.

The support box you show is a different brand. Cant be used. You need the supervent cathedral ceiling support box and possibly an attic insulation shield too.
It’s older metalbestos, same parent company, just older stuff. The adaptor is correct from what I’m seeing.

I think I would center the trim ring better and seal the gap with black silicone. Unless you are interested in a new chimney system. If so, a ceiling support with insulation as mentioned above would be the way to go.

It’s older metalbestos, same parent company, just older stuff. The adaptor is correct from what I’m seeing.

Correct! It is a Metalbestos SS II chimney (who thought that was a good name for anything?)

Since it is a Metalbestos, would this cathedral ceiling kit work?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SuperVent-6-Piece-Chimney-Pipe-Accessory-Kit-for-Ceiling-Support/3579042

How would I actually install this with the chimney already in place? It seems it needs to be secured from above, but thats not really possible since I don't have any access from above. Am I missing something?

I think I would center the trim ring better and seal the gap with black silicone. Unless you are interested in a new chimney system. If so, a ceiling support with insulation as mentioned above would be the way to go.

I really don't like how much of the chimney is sticking out of the ceiling, so if I can cover it up with a box and insulate it better, that would be awesome.

If the pipe is 8" OD it should fit. Cut the square hole, pack the bottom of the box with the JUSI insulation(Do NOT use any other insulation!), then slide it up the pipe to desired position. Then use the support band but upside down and last to hold everything up where you want it. then tighten the bolt. The screws into the outer pipe would be unnecessary. Then caulk around the box where it meets the drywall and secure the trim.. It is only for looks and insulation. Will not be supporting anything.

If the pipe is 8" OD it should fit. Cut the square hole, pack the bottom of the box with the JUSI insulation(Do NOT use any other insulation!), then slide it up the pipe to desired position. Then use the support band but upside down and last to hold everything up where you want it. then tighten the bolt. The screws into the outer pipe would be unnecessary. Then caulk around the box where it meets the drywall and secure the trim.. It is only for looks and insulation. Will not be supporting anything.

Ok I think I understand. So instead of the box being attached to the structure of the roof and supporting the chimney, I will be attaching the box to the chimney with the support ring so the chimney is actually holding the weight of the box.

What is the difference between the JUSI and SUSI insulation? Neither of them seem easily available. Also, I understand I can only use those ones inside the box, but can I use other brands of rock wool or mineral wool directly up against the OUTSIDE of the box to further insulate?

Anything can touch the outside of the box. Wood, insulation, Lost christmas presents you hid in the attic, Nitro glycerin...(ok, maybe not that)...etc

I see a problem though if you start pushing the envelope. If you try to pack insulation around the outside of the box without securing it to the framing, you could tilt the box to where the material you pack around it is encroaching on the minimum 2" clearance required. Maybe a little insulation would be OK but the box needs to be straight. Follow?

Haha well luckily its just a one story with a vaulted ceiling so no real "attic" space to store junk in.

I see what you are saying about too much exterior insulation moving the box around so I will be careful about that and not use more than is needed. Perhaps I will try it without the JUSI inside first and see how it goes, since it might take me a while to get that anyways.

Haha well luckily its just a one story with a vaulted ceiling so no real "attic" space to store junk in.

I see what you are saying about too much exterior insulation moving the box around so I will be careful about that and not use more than is needed. Perhaps I will try it without the JUSI inside first and see how it goes, since it might take me a while to get that anyways.

Menards says they can get it.

Yea, I was hoping for a local supplier so I could work on it this weekend, but that might be where I get it from.

What is the difference between the JUSI and SUSI insulation? Neither of them seem easily available.

JUSI is for Supervent and SUSI is for SuperPro. Same thing.

If the pipe is 8" OD it should fit. Cut the square hole, pack the bottom of the box with the JUSI insulation(Do NOT use any other insulation!),
It looks and feels just like fiberglass. I think the only difference in it is that they tested it, so it “must” be used.