wood stove on a budget

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

subyd00d

Oct 5, 2011
NC
Hello all. New to the site. Lots of great info here. Im on a very tight budget and want to put in a stove to cut my heating costs. I've got plenty of access to wood so that's no issue. If you had $750 to put in a wood stove and put up wall protection how would you go about doing it? That's the situation im looking at. Any advice would be great.

subyd00d said:
Hello all. New to the site. Lots of great info here. Im on a very tight budget and want to put in a stove to cut my heating costs. I've got plenty of access to wood so that's no issue. If you had $750 to put in a wood stove and put up wall protection how would you go about doing it? That's the situation im looking at. Any advice would be great.

I'd start by looking for a used stove, i.e Craigslist, etc. We got a 2 year old Oslo for $200 and just picked up a nice Isle Royale for $150. The deals are out there, you just have to be persistent and lucky!

Good luck!

NP

+1, the first thought in my mind was CL too. I got my Jotul 602 for $100 last year, put $60 into it and now it heats my rear addition.

subyd00d said:

You can go used. But that is hit or miss depending upon your location. It could take several months before you come across the right stove in good condition. I've gotten all of my stoves used and it has worked out quite well.

If you go new, the Englander line will meet your budget.

That said, have you factored in the liner installation costs? If you haven't, the liner installation will run you about $700 alone if you install it yourself.

You don't need a liner, you do need a legal chimney. You don't need wall protection, you just need to respect the minimum clearances to combustible surfaces. If your chimney is in good shape then you can spend your loot on stove, interior black connector pipe, and maybe floor protection.

With that budget I would buy a new englander 30. If you want to buy used then beware of old and worn out dirty burning stoves.

I plan on running the pipe out the side of the house and running the chimney piping right up the side of the house.

subyd00d said:

One other thing to mention, while you may have "plenty of access to wood" is it split and dry wood that's seasoned at least a year and is ready to burn NOW? The new EPA stoves really, really need clean dry wood to burn properly.

NP

subyd00d said:
I plan on running the pipe out the side of the house and running the chimney piping right up the side of the house.

That will run you more than $700 based on what I've seen here. Not including the stove.

BrowningBAR said:
subyd00d said:

That will run you more than $700 based on what I've seen here. Not including the stove.

Yip yip, yipyipyipyipyip.

[Hearth.com] wood stove on a budget

I couldn't find a picture with a class A chimney.

btuser said:
BrowningBAR said:
subyd00d said:

Yip yip, yipyipyipyipyip.

[Hearth.com] wood stove on a budget

I couldn't find a picture with a class A chimney.

Not to derail this thread, but I'm leaving this right here.
(broken image removed)

subyd00d said:
I've got plenty of dry wood. 1000 acres of a messy clearcut job left me many trees 3 years ago

Is this wood already bucked, split, and stacked?

subyd00d said:
I've got plenty split and stacked for this winter and next winters is already in a pile waiting to be split

When was this winters wood split? Ideally wood should be split and stacked for a year. Otherwise the moisture in the wood will make it a bit difficult to burn well.

Englander would be a good choice,,,check out their webpage,,,good luck.

Sheesh, he said he's got wood.
On a budget... +1 for craigslist or classifieds.
It does require some patience, as well as possibly educating yourself about features, pluses & minuses, etc. of some older stove models and their installation requirements.
Good luck.

That get's you through the wall. Still got to hook up the stove and get above the roof line.

If you get really lucky, sometimes you can find someone selling the stove and pipe on CL. But generally, I would say that $750 is not enough to buy a stove and Class A pipe, certainly not new. Don't use single-wall stove pipe on the outside of the house, you'll end up with a creosote nightmare and unsafe install.

btuser said:
That get's you through the wall. Still got to hook up the stove and get above the roof line.

True, the price differences on the rest of the pipe is also wildly skewed depending on where you buy it.
You can save a lot of money if you shop around

Be careful not to install a stove on a too low budget. You may end up getting more trouble than you bargained for. The flue in particular is not a place for a lot of compromise. Do it safely or not at all.

I've been looking for a used Vermont castings defiant on CL with no luck. I keep finding them but they tend to have cracks in the baffle. I you go this route be sure to bring a flashlight and do a thorough inspection before you waste a day and your back lugging a five hundred pound what could be paperweight.

TK-421 said:
I've been looking for a used Vermont castings defiant on CL with no luck. I keep finding them but they tend to have cracks in the baffle. I you go this route be sure to bring a flashlight and do a thorough inspection before you waste a day and your back lugging a five hundred pound what could be paperweight.

How old of a Defiant? Is a Cat version acceptable? How far are you willing to drive?

From what I have seen on here from these good folks, I would say spend the money on the pipe and do whatever it takes to get that right, and get a cheap stove you can upgrade later. Folks here love the Summers heat/Englander/ line because it is a proven great product with a low price point but there are other stoves that are cheaper and still are OK. Pleasant Hearth, etc, other EPA rated stoves like they sell at the big box stores people have said decent things about on here.

tickbitty said:
From what I have seen on here from these good folks, I would say spend the money on the pipe and do whatever it takes to get that right, and get a cheap stove you can upgrade later. Folks here love the Summers heat/Englander/ line because it is a proven great product with a low price point but there are other stoves that are cheaper and still are OK. Pleasant Hearth, etc, other EPA rated stoves like they sell at the big box stores people have said decent things about on here.

That's essentially what I did when I installed the Vigilant. I went cheap with the stove to keep costs down until I learned more about wood burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.