Wood stove into fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danthedewman1

Jan 1, 2018
Missouri
Hi..is there a way to use an existing fireplace chimney and run your flue into that from your woodstove. The old fireplace will not be used..The new woodstove would sit right next to where the fireplace is now. We could go insert , but I think you get more heat from a freestanding woodstove as opposed to insert..I thought taking old fireplace guts out and running sheet of metal over the hole and running new stove pipe thru that. Dont know if you would need flue pipe after that.. Just a rough idea of what I thought might work...Also, anyone know a good woodstove man for the job in the Missouri area..I live outside Ava, Missouri..which is about 50 miles from Springfield...Thank You

Is this a full masonry fireplace or a metal prefab fireplace?