Wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sjp649

Jun 25, 2024
Young Harris, Georgia
Good evening. I’m getting ready to install my jotul f3 in a small cabin. I have a cathedral ceiling with no attic space. Area between rafters will be spray foam and finished ceiling will tongue and groove. From what I’ve been seeing, I need single wall from stove to cathedral support box then double wall from there? Do I need a support box? How do I know what size support box to buy? What’s the code for my height after exiting roof? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

If the run from the stove to the ceiling is long, people recommend a double wall instead of a single one. A long run with a single wall lets the gases cool too much. It can affect the draft, and you can get more buildup in the pipe.

I don’t believe single wall is recommended…..ever. Double wall from stove to support box. Class A chimney from support box up.

Good evening. I’m getting ready to install my jotul f3 in a small cabin. I have a cathedral ceiling with no attic space. Area between rafters will be spray foam and finished ceiling will tongue and groove. From what I’ve been seeing, I need single wall from stove to cathedral support box then double wall from there?
This is a perenial confusion of terms. Stove pipe comes in single-wall and double-walled with an air gap between layers. Double-wall stove pipe is strongly recommended if the run is long (>8'). Chimney pipe comes in double-wall with packed insulation between the layers. Or it comes in a value-line, triple-wall, with less insulation between the inner two layer and then an outer layer with an air gap.

Do I need a support box? How do I know what size support box to buy? What’s the code for my height after exiting roof? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Yes, you will need a cathedral ceiling support box. Stove pipe is only used within the room up to the support box, then the flue transitions to class A chimney pipe which is supported by the support box. At the roof, the 10-3-2 rule must be honored.

Cathedral_box.JPG 10-3-2 rule.JPG

Last edited: