Wood Stove Install HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jstima37

Mar 19, 2018
Chicago IL
Thanks in advance for reading this. I need figuring out how I can install a wood stove. I'm looking at getting the stove add on that connects to my furnace. I have a spot in my basement picked out that is right by my furnace and right by the chimney. It's a perfect spot because there is a flue very close by that was used to vent my old furnace. Now I have a high efficiency furnace that uses PVC. The flue is clay pipe and is 7 1/2" in diameter. It's a straight shot all the way to the basement so it would be so easy to put a stainless steel liner in it.

The directions on the wood stove say it needs to be 6". The PROBLEM is my hot water heater is currently using that chase to vent and local codes say I can't use two appliances in the same flue. I wish I could fit a 6" stainless steel liner for the stove and a 3" liner for the water heater in that 7 1/2" opening but I don't think that's possible. Has anyone been able to do this before? Do they make oval shaped liners to give you some more room? I would like to install the stove by next year. I know one of my options is to get a forced vent water heater but my current water heater has about 4 to 5 years of life left in it and I would rather not spend an additional $1000 on a new one right now. Are there any other options for me to make this work? It is disappointing because the flue is perfect it's a straight shot to the basement no offsets, it's next to my forced air furnace, and I have plenty of room in that spot for a wood stove. Thanks again for reading this and I hope someone can help me.

Attached to this post is a picture of the clay pipe I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Wood Stove Install HELP
    Stove Help.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 91
My propane 40gal power vent water heater was $770 from Menards, a little better than $1000. Doesn't help much though.

You could ditch the gas HWH and put a heat pump style in.

Put in an electric HWH

You'll never be able to vent two appliances in that flu. You'll have to chose which one you want or like what was said above, go with electric hwh.