Wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m looking to put a wood stove insert in a Heatalator EL36. Any recommendations?
The manual does not allow an insert to be installed in that fireplace.

According to this; 4044_187.pdf (hearthnhome.com) they do allow inserts. Not sure what the limitations would be.
Hmmm you are absolutely correct. The manual I read did not allow them. It must have been revised but there are no instructions for installing one. I think a call to hht is in order

As I understand you can put an insert in, however I have not found one to fit the size of the heatilator.

As I understand you can put an insert in, however I have not found one to fit the size of the heatilator.
Call hht. If they allow inserts that is because they tested certain ones which are allowed.

One problem you are going to run into is that there are fewer choices in 2020 than earlier. Normally I would have recommended looking at a small HHT insert by Quadrafire or Heatilator, but those choices are no longer sold. A small Drolet or Osburn may be possible.