wood stove: insert vs. freestanding - new home construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rrrock

Dec 28, 2018
Lincoln, WA
My wife and I are building a home and I want to install a wood stove. Most of the things I read about a freestanding stove vs an insert suggest that free standing is more efficient, but most of those comments seem to be based on the fact that the freestanding stove is inside the home - that is to say that all of the heat radiates into the room, while an insert shares a wall with the outside and thus heats the wall and loses heat to the outdoors. This would not be the case in our new home. The insert would be on an inner wall that has a bedroom behind it, so all heat that doesn't go up the chimney would technically radiate into the home. Is this as efficient as a free standing stove, or are there other factors that affect efficiency?

Also, sometimes I'll come across something like this - https://edwardsandsonsva.com/product/fp16-arch-wood-fireplace/ - which is called a "wood burning fireplace" but at 70% efficiency I'm thinking that is more of a stove than a fireplace. This makes it difficult when searching for one that we like online. Am I missing out on some desirable search results by searching for "wood stove insert"? Are there items that will not be called "stoves" that will nonetheless provide the same heating efficiency as a wood stove?

Unless you are going to have a masonary fireplace, you'd be looking at a zero clearance fireplace like an Apex 42. An insert is designed to fit into an existing fireplace or factory fireplaces which were installed in 1980s homes and inefficient. Inserts 'insert' into something pre-existing.

Since you are building, I reckon a freestanding would be cheaper warmer and easier, since you don't have to build a fireplace. Of course it sticks out in the room and it depends on the look you are after. ZC fireplaces are more costly, but good. I have an Apex 42, super efficient, gives out good heat, but its about $6k for the unit. An insert or ZC must have a fan which can be noisy. We get powercuts too. If it's a big place to heat, go for the Blaze King king or Ashford 30. Princess isn't 2020 compliant I don't think. A freestanding doesn't need a fan, so reasurring if you're a doomsday prepper. Much less work to install, pipe through the roof and you're ready to roll. Lastly I recommend a Cat stove, simply because of the dancing flames you get and they are more efficient.

Reactions: rrrock
There are advantages to each type of installation. A wood stove is a great area heater. If the house has an open floorplan it may be able to heat most of the house. If the house is sprawling or has closed off areas or wings then those areas may not see much heat. A freestanding stove takes up floor space which in some cases is at a premium. A ZC fireplace can range from a pretty cheap and poor heater to a high efficiency EPA burner. Heat can be ducted off many ZC fireplaces to remote areas. The fireplace can be build into an exterior chase to save floor space and looks more traditional. However a fireplace installation usually is more expensive due to enclosure and finishing details.

Reactions: rrrock