Wood Stove Insert Liner Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tchescat2000

Sep 11, 2017
AMERICA
We bought a house a year ago yesterday, which includes a older Quadra Fire wood stove insert. We had everything inspected and cleaned last year and we burned about half a face cord. Fast forward to today, we had another cleaning setup and this time we were told that the liner can't be cleaned and needs to be changed. Turns out the previous owner changed out the old liner for a black pipe section setup and its collapsing in the chimney. I don't know why this wasn't noticed last year, but it wasn't. We actually have two different companies come today and they both said the same thing.

One has quoted $1625 to install and cap. We are waiting for the other company to quote.

I find this whole things crazy, as I was expecting a cleaning and move on. I'm in NY. What price is reasonable for this to be done?

We would need to know the height of the chimney, also what is the inside flue opening, and what is the insert exhaust opening diameter?

Both companies are right, single wall black pipe install in a masonry chimney is a big no no. Do you know if the quote was for an insulated liner, have both companies inspected the masonry chimney to make sure it has the right clearances to combustibles (*your house)
I don't know your setup but if access is easy, flue tile is large enough and your slightly handy or have handy friends you can tackle the job yourself, measure and buy a insulated liner, install down chimney, add top plate and cap, add appliance adapter and connect to your stove, get some sheet metal and build a block off plate to keep the heat created by the insert from going up the chimney.

Liner kits start around $300 for 6" diameter stainless flex pipe. Add another $200 or so for insulation to wrap it in, if you want/need insulation. Price goes up for 8" diameter pipe, and price is basically per ft of length. So, you could easily be looking at $500 in parts. $500 for labor is about as reasonable as it gets for this job.

It's not above the skills of most DIY'ers. We can talk you through it, but it is a very dirty job. Making the connection to an insert can be a PITA, depending on if there's enough of a gap between the top of the insert and the lintel of your fireplace for you to reach the flue collar of the insert while it's sitting in the fireplace.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KUSJF4/?tag=hearthamazon-20

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/reline-a-masonry-chimney.147725/

What you're all saying makes sense and watching how to do it makes it look possible to do myself. That being said, I'm sure I will end up having to hire someone, so I guess the best question is; do you have any advice on hiring someone that won't kill me on price? I could wait until spring, if prices would be lower then.

Prices on stoves will start going down in Feb. . .I dunno 'bout chimney sweeps/installers. Your best bet is probably to get as many estimates as possible. Once you know the specs of your chimney, you might be able to save some time by getting ballpark estimates over the phone. "How much for a 25' chimney reline connected to an insert with a 6" flue? Insulated? Block-off plate?"

Actually, you can probably eliminate at least half of the bidders; they will scoff at putting a block-off plate above the stove in the damper area of the fireplace, because that's the hardest part of doing the job right, and they don't give a sh!t if it keeps more heat in your home. The ones who are worth their salt will be all over it.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

The liner is infrastructure, I wouldn't lowball the price. There are differences in liners both in construction and wall thickness. Find a good installer or csia certified sweep and invest in a good, insulated, heavy-duty liner if you intend to be in the house for many years.

www.csia.org