Wood stove glass door breaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ritz

Dec 11, 2017
???
The glass in my wood stove door keeps breaking. I replaced it with a piece of tempered glass with shattered after about 1 week. Then I tried a piece of Pyrex with shattered within 15 minutes. The wood stove came with a regular piece of glass and that lasted for about 5 years before one small crack in the corner. What is going on? And what can I do to solve this issue?

The "glass" in a wood stove is not glass, it is clear ceramic. This is all that should be used. Robax, neoceram, pyroceram are some brand names for stove ceramic glass. Also, be sure to not overtension the glass holders. That can also crack the glass.

PS: What stove is this for?

Reactions: St. Coemgen