Wood stove gasket - horrible odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalinky

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2009
Ohio
We have had this problem since we got our wood stove - The gasket around the door burns and puts off a HORRIBLE odor. When we open the door to put on another log, the smell is so bad and is just screaming carcinogen to me. This especially worries me with having 2 young children in the house. I'm wondering if the wood is being cut a little too long maybe, which sucks because we have next winter's wood already cut. Anyone know what this horrible smell is all about and if there's anything we can do to stop it?

Kalinky said:
We have had this problem since we got our wood stove - The gasket around the door burns and puts off a HORRIBLE odor. When we open the door to put on another log, the smell is so bad and is just screaming carcinogen to me. This especially worries me with having 2 young children in the house. I'm wondering if the wood is being cut a little too long maybe, which sucks because we have next winter's wood already cut. Anyone know what this horrible smell is all about and if there's anything we can do to stop it?

That doesn't make any sense.

1. What type of stove do you have?
2. Wood length should not matter.
3. The gasket should not be "burning" or giving off an order.
4. How long have you had the stove?

Let's say it is the gasket. They are cheap and easy to replace.

But, the odor should not be the gaskets.

Is this a new stove? Can't imagine the gasket burning unless someone used a silicone adhesive or plain rope for a gasket.

It's a Pacific Energy Super 27 - we bought it new in '09. I think the wood is too long and is sitting on the gasket, burning itself and the gasket, and creating the odor. Is that craziness? What else could that smell be? It is a piercing strong smell. Logs are 18" long, as the manual states is the highest allowable length. My husband thinks I'm crazy and tells me it's "just the smell of burning metal".....huh?

Kalinky said:
It's a Pacific Energy Super 27 - we bought it new in '09. I think the wood is too long and is sitting on the gasket, burning itself and the gasket, and creating the odor. Is that craziness? What else could that smell be? It is a piercing strong smell.

I currently have a large split leaning against a large gasket on the damper of the Encore I have. The split is engulfed in flame and the flame is directly on the gasket. It is not burning and there is no smell from the gasket.

It seems doubtful that it is the gasket. But, to put your mind at ease, the gasket is easy to replace. If, after you replace the gasket and you are still smelling the odor, it is clearly not the gasket. The stove should not be producing an odor that is harmful to anyone.

Kalinky said:
It's a Pacific Energy Super 27 - we bought it new in '09. I think the wood is too long and is sitting on the gasket, burning itself and the gasket, and creating the odor. Is that craziness? What else could that smell be? It is a piercing strong smell. Logs are 18" long, as the manual states is the highest allowable length. My husband thinks I'm crazy and tells me it's "just the smell of burning metal".....huh?

Did you buy the stove new? Was this a factory installed gasket?

Thanks for your replies - I feel better now about the gasket. Yes, we bought it new through a local dealer who installed it. I just can't understand what that odor would be from, or how it could be normal. Maybe I'll call the dealer and see what they say?

Kalinky said:
Thanks for your replies - I feel better now about the gasket. Yes, we bought it new through a local dealer who installed it. I just can't understand what that odor would be from, or how it could be normal. Maybe I'll call the dealer and see what they say?

Is it only when you open the stove door? Is any smoke coming out when the door is opened? A call to the dealer can not hurt. You will at least get a confirmation from another person as to what the smell might be.

yes, only happens when the door is opened - occasionally a little smoke will drift out now and then, but this smell is definitely not smoke smell. I'll give the dealer a call. Thanks for your help! :)

Are you monitoring temps? Have you gotten this stove "hot" yet?
You might need to let her rip a time or two and burn off those oily odors.

Welcome to the forum Kalinky.

That odor you are getting I'm betting is from the smoke and gasses being pulled into the room when you open the door. This means something is not right in the draft or perhaps you are opening the door wrong. Before opening the door, open the draft to full open and wait a minute or two before opening the door. Then open it slowly. You also need to make sure you don't have some blockage in the chimney that might impede the draft. Something else you might do is make sure nothing else in the house is drawing air, like a clothes drier or an exhaust fan. If these things are running, they are drawing a lot of air from the house and will try to draw that air out from the stove when you open the door.

As for changing the gasket, it is extremely easy; child's play, but I doubt that is your problem.

Thank you for these good points! We have gotten it hot, especially when we first got it. I know that "hot stove" smell. Occasionally if I throw a log and forget to keep a close eye on it, the distinct hot stove smell reminds me to go over and turn the air control down. I have a magnetic thermometer on it and it is usually around 350* F - 400* F....I think - I really haven't looked at the thermometer lately, and today being a pretty mild day, we have let it burn out.

We had draft issues when it was installed and had to have an extension put on the roof pipe (it is crazy tall with supports!). This after the over 30 year old previous stove never had draft issues (??). It seemed so strange because our living room windows are super drafty...this old house is the farthest thing from air tight. Before opening, we do make sure the air control is up all the way and open door slowly to let it regulate. I reminded my husband of this - I feel like that horrible smell happens more at night when he is home - may be something he is doing, or may be that when it cools off at night, we are just subsequently running the stove hotter.

Something happened during the night last night - it was a windy night - I believe there was a creosote issue maybe? Smelled kind of like that funeral insence smell. Which is wierd because my husband just cleaned the pipe last week.

"I feel like that horrible smell happens more at night when he is home - may be something he is doing..." Mmm Hmmm.

Does he have to bend over to put the wood in?

Bad Milt, very bad!

Kalinky said:
Something happened during the night last night - it was a windy night - I believe there was a creosote issue maybe? Smelled kind of like that funeral insence smell. Which is wierd because my husband just cleaned the pipe last week.

When he cleaned the pipe, did he remove the baffle? And if he did, was the secondary feed tube covered to prevent creosote from falling down the tube?

HAHAHAHA!! just now seeing this - maybe THAT'S what it is!!! :)

Milt said:
"I feel like that horrible smell happens more at night when he is home - may be something he is doing..." Mmm Hmmm.

Does he have to bend over to put the wood in?

BeGreen said:
Kalinky said:

When he cleaned the pipe, did he remove the baffle? And if he did, was the secondary feed tube covered to prevent creosote from falling down the tube?

Secondary feed tube. Not sure if he knows what this is...I certainly don't...but I'm not the one cleaning it. I will ask him about this! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.