wood stove for 10X16 shed recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smoky hollow

Aug 25, 2024
Tucker County, WV
Hello and thank you in advance.

I have a larger sized wood stove i have been running in an uninsulated (save for some mylar blankets) 16 ft yurt that sits direct on mother earth with no platform. It is in no way sealed and the heavy cast iron stove with firebrick works well even on the coldest of nights wen it otherwise would be too large for a 16 ft insulated cabin. It is likely too heavy for the 2x4 shed joists and would be likely be overkill for the new space. It has no window and we would like to be able to see the fire as well.

This will be a 10x16 shed with 2 single pane windows and 2 small transom windows in a dormer over the double doors. 6 foot 3 ceilings, a gabled roof, and tough guard reflective insulation - its thin but much better than nothing. It has double doors that will not be sealed like a home.

I already have enough Duravent 6 inch triple walled pipe to put it through the roof near the roof arch and plan on using stove board and silicone to ensure a safe installation.

We would like have a stove that can hold a fire on low through the night so we do not have to get up to load it. With weight being a concern, I know it may not be possible to achieve that. I am not in love with it as it does not have firebrick and is priced somewhat high for a stove that is not approved for residential use, also doesn't appear to have a gasket, but does anyone have any thoughts on this stove, or the company in general: https://www.northwoodsfab.com/product-page/woodsman-xxl-wood-stove

I'm likely going to use a small all in one diesel heater as a backup, or to supply heat while we are sleeping if a stove that can hold a fire overnight is not feasible. It gets quite cold here for this far south, often teens or below.

Any advise on stoves or other info is appreciated!!!! Also any insight on how much weight a shed floor could take from any contractors is appreciated, its going to be on skids on a level gravel base.

We would like have a stove that can hold a fire on low through the night so we do not have to get up to load it. With weight being a concern, I know it may not be possible to achieve that. I am not in love with it as it does not have firebrick and is priced somewhat high for a stove that is not approved for residential use, also doesn't appear to have a gasket, but does anyone have any thoughts on this stove, or the company in general: https://www.northwoodsfab.com/product-page/woodsman-xxl-wood-stove
This is an unlisted stove which will require 36" clearances to combustibles. It looks simple enough to not suck but has no reburn or catalyst technology so your ability to burn cleanly at low temperatures will be severely limited. Drolet and others makes a few small stoves that will burn cleaner and have much lower clearances (albeit at a greater cost).

Thank you! definitely a clean burn and the other factors you mention are key over cost.

Any suggestions on exact Drolet (or similar) stoves?

Any further opinions and advice from the form are well received!

This is an unlisted stove which will require 36" clearances to combustibles. It looks simple enough to not suck but has no reburn or catalyst technology so your ability to burn cleanly at low temperatures will be severely limited. Drolet and others makes a few small stoves that will burn cleaner and have much lower clearances (albeit at a greater cost).
do you think a corner install would work for this stove?: https://www.drolet.ca/us/en/wood-stoves/db03215/

Hello and thank you in advance.

I have a larger sized wood stove i have been running in an uninsulated (save for some mylar blankets) 16 ft yurt that sits direct on mother earth with no platform. It is in no way sealed and the heavy cast iron stove with firebrick works well even on the coldest of nights wen it otherwise would be too large for a 16 ft insulated cabin. It is likely too heavy for the 2x4 shed joists and would be likely be overkill for the new space. It has no window and we would like to be able to see the fire as well.

This will be a 10x16 shed with 2 single pane windows and 2 small transom windows in a dormer over the double doors. 6 foot 3 ceilings, a gabled roof, and tough guard reflective insulation - its thin but much better than nothing. It has double doors that will not be sealed like a home.

I already have enough Duravent 6 inch triple walled pipe to put it through the roof near the roof arch and plan on using stove board and silicone to ensure a safe installation.

I'm likely going to use a small all in one diesel heater as a backup, or to supply heat while we are sleeping if a stove that can hold a fire overnight is not feasible. It gets quite cold here for this far south, often teens or below.

Any advise on stoves or other info is appreciated!!!! Also any insight on how much weight a shed floor could take from any contractors is appreciated, its going to be on skids on a level gravel base.
I live in NW Montana and bought a Moreso last year. Small stove, takes up to 7" across logs. I have a log cabin with a 400ft foot print. We got down to -40F last winter and it did fine. It is cute with the squirel & oak leaves on the sides, barely smokes at the chimney, makes very little ash, cast iron which radiates heat longer, or so I read. I am very happy with it. https://morsoe.com/us/product/indoor/wood-burning-stove/p2b_standard_us

do you think a corner install would work for this stove?: https://www.drolet.ca/us/en/wood-stoves/db03215/
yes here are the clearances
wood stove for 10X16 shed recommendations

yes here are the clearances
View attachment 329218
Thank you again for the info, I had seen it myself on their website and based on my knowledge of clearances, e.g. 36 inches, I found that almost too good to be true. I also saw that using the floor and wall protectors they sold that those could be reduced.

Given the small space I am working with, do you think that using generic but quality branded stove board from big-box stores, such as tractor supply, lowe's etc. would allow you to maintain the clearances for the drolet branded floor/wall protectors? Or should I just maintain what Drolet states in their manual for unprotected clearances for double wall?? Just want to ensure safe operation even if a little paranoid.

Thank you for your patience with what may seem to be silly questions I might could find out on my own, or should just trust my own knowledge regarding.

It is truly appreciated!!

Thank you again for the info, I had seen it myself on their website and based on my knowledge of clearances, e.g. 36 inches, I found that almost too good to be true. I also saw that using the floor and wall protectors they sold that those could be reduced.

Given the small space I am working with, do you think that using generic but quality branded stove board from big-box stores, such as tractor supply, lowe's etc. would allow you to maintain the clearances for the drolet branded floor/wall protectors? Or should I just maintain what Drolet states in their manual for unprotected clearances for double wall?? Just want to ensure safe operation even if a little paranoid.

Thank you for your patience with what may seem to be silly questions I might could find out on my own, or should just trust my own knowledge regarding.

Reducing clearances is out of my expertise, but I can put out the bat signal for @bholler to chime in.

You need to follow the manual

Reducing clearances is out of my expertise, but I can put out the bat signal for @bholler to chime in.
Much appreciated. Although I had my heart and vision set upon a corner set up, with weight, effort, and cost, of getting the shielding/insulation of a corner set up, i am starting to think a set up smack dab along the center line to distribute the weight well on a joist and the skids will likely work best. That is what I normally have seen with stoves in sheds. But this will be used more as a living space, so the stove in the center, closer to one of the end walls, is not ideal as a corner set up. We'd like to sit on the futon and see the stove and that will accomplish that. Appreciate the recommendation of the Drolet stove, I already know from my framing background that will not be too heavy as long as some birch plywood is put under the floor protection for extra strength.

All the best and cheers,

Robert

That's a decent choice. It loads N/S so that the full firebox space can be used.
It will definitely outperform the "Woodsman". I was looking closer at it and not super impressed. 1/8 inch steel, no baffle, no door gasketing, more of a novelty item.

It will definitely outperform the "Woodsman". I was looking closer at it and not super impressed. 1/8 inch steel, no baffle, no door gasketing, more of a novelty item.
There are a lot of tent and camping stoves like this. They get hot quickly, but are not designed for efficiency or clearances. It's not something I would want to run 24/7 for heat.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
No I wasn't either. Confirmed with the shed supplier the floor construction, so weight within reason is no longer as much of a concern than getting too much stove.

I think the drolet captures is the sweetest spot for not having too much stove and still being able to not have to get up too often to tend to the fire as long as we practice good wood burning practice and maintenance.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
No I wasn't either. Confirmed with the shed supplier the floor construction, so weight within reason is no longer as much of a concern than getting too much stove.

I think the drolet captures is the sweetest spot for not having too much stove and still being able to not have to get up too often to tend to the fire as long as we practice good wood burning practice and maintenance.
You will enjoy the Drolet, but make sure your wood is dry. Compared to your old stove this will run best on sub 20% moisture wood.

What did they say the floor construction will be? The hearth pad for the stove may distribute the weight over several joists depending on its construction.

There are a lot of tent and camping stoves like this. They get hot quickly, but are not designed for efficiency or clearances. It's not something I would want to run 24/7 for heat.
Yeah, I've had a couple of these. The woodsman would be on the nice end for that type of use case.

Most I know around here with a stove in their workshop/cabin/shed don't stay overnight and they tend to go smaller as they're awake to tend to a fire they intend to let burn out when they're done.

Thanks for joining the discussion!

What did they say the floor construction will be? The hearth pad for the stove may distribute the weight over several joists depending on its construction.
2x6 pressure treated 16" spaced joists on 2 4x 6 skids 6 feet apart on 3/4 pressure treated plywood. I have some 2x4 birch plywood I've had lying around I was going to use to shore up the floor spot. Initially I got to thinking if it was 2x4 i would have to account for that, now i am not so concerned. The birch is probably overkill even. I may even put the stove right over a skid and shouldn't have any issue placing the hearth pad on multiple joists.

The shed is a lightly used repo at an excellent price, so i investigated a little less than if I was paying the 2k more in price it is worth. The seller said he thinks it could handle a larger stove even on 2x4s, but I don't think that much static weight given what else will go in the shed would make sense.

I may still go with one of the smaller cast iron cooking stoves and just rely on the diesel heater more, but as long as weight is not as much of a concern, it's just cold enough here often enough a stove that can hold a fire for a few hours makes sense.

The birch is overkill, especially for just an underlayment. The hearth still need to be protected with a non-combustible. With 3/4" plywood decking, a sheet of 24ga sheet metal would suffice as a minimum.

The birch is overkill, especially for just an underlayment. The hearth still need to be protected with a non-combustible. With 3/4" plywood decking, a sheet of 24ga sheet metal would suffice as a minimum.
thanks, i plan on laying down a floor protector. Just sheet metal on the combustible floor would be sufficient? Without an air gap, that would get the floor too hot?

For some yes, but the Drolet Deco Nano just needs ember protection.

The floor protection must be a continuous, non combustible material, such as steel with a minimum thickness of 0.015" (0.38 mm) or ceramic tiles sealed together with grout. Cement board, brick, or any other approved or listed material suited for floor protection. No R factor required.