Wood stack progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilifter7

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2012
Beavercreek Ohio
Found this forum last September after installing an old VC stove. After reading a few posts from Dennis and others I saw the importance of getting ahead. Ive measured out about 9 cords of wood CCS. Still have another cord I already bucked that i need to bring home and split. I started stacking 3 rows per pallet on the right side and all my newer stacks on the left are 2 rows per pallet. I've top covered next years wood with tarps. Not sure if I'm going to top cover the rest or keep it open until the year I burn it. At 3-4 cords per year this should put me into my 3rd year of burning. My goal is to get 12 cords stacked by fall.

Wood stack progress Wood stack progress Wood stack progress Wood stack progress Wood stack progress Wood stack progress Wood stack progress Wood stack progress Wood stack progress

That's some nice work you have there. Get ahead and stay ahead. Do you think you have sufficient air flow through those stacks?

The stacks to the right are a little tight but the ones to the left should all be ok. The wind comes from behind the wood and it is in a windy area.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice t7, don't stop! Its money in the bank. :)

Listening to Dennis in regards to getting ahead in your wood piles is a good thing for many reasons......on the other hand you must remember to weed other suggestions that he may throw in. Get your splitter fixed, before you know it you'll be searching clist for a red milk crate. Lol.....:D

Nice stacks
Feels great to be ahead, eh?
12 cords should have you several years ahead !

Reactions: Trilifter7
Feels great to be ahead! I go out in the yard sometimes just to walk around and look at the stacks. I can't wait to get more!!

Trilifter, that is fantastic! I also would not be concerned about the wood not drying. You will do fine. I'd even stack it a bit higher unless you don't want to block the view. We generally stack at 4 1/2' high but it shrinks a lot.

And you are right that it is a great feeling knowing you have that much heating fuel on hand and as long as we've done it, I still take pride every time I look at our wood piles. Gives me a good feeling. I guess there is just something about providing for yourself. I always thought that probably came from growing up on a farm but perhaps it is something everyone experiences when they do something good like this.

Trilifter, that is fantastic! I also would not be concerned about the wood not drying. You will do fine. I'd even stack it a bit higher unless you don't want to block the view. We generally stack at 4 1/2' high but it shrinks a lot.

And you are right that it is a great feeling knowing you have that much heating fuel on hand and as long as we've done it, I still take pride every time I look at our wood piles. Gives me a good feeling. I guess there is just something about providing for yourself. I always thought that probably came from growing up on a farm but perhaps it is something everyone experiences when they do something good like this.

Thanks Dennis! I was actually thinking of moving the far left pile of sugar maple on top of the other three piles on the left side. I def get the rewarding feeling of providing for yourself.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Awesome work! It's the greatest feeling being ahead. Keep it up!

You have fallen right in lockstep. Nice stacks.
Maybe another 3 more? That will be a good feeling.

I'm sitting here eating a frozen pizza for dinner and as I'm looking at the pics on this thread I see what looks like a boxer in the yard. BTW, nice stacks and very nice lawn. Glad you got ahead, it means everything when you burn.

Thanks Oslo! It is a boxer. He's almost 2 and he loves to dig! It is great getting ahead! Very good to know you have years of good heat ready and available

So do your neighbors think your crazy yet?

Oh yea they do! They keep making jokes asking if I have enough wood. Just wait till I stack what I scored today! I'll post pics later
I took some time today and stacked the far left stuff on top of the other left side stacks. Got it all to 4.5' tall.

Wood stack progress

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.