Wood splitter sputters and turns off when warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
Hi, I bought a used Performance Built 27 ton splitter, sold by Lowes. It has been working well for the last few months, but more recently, it will start up fine when cold and run awhile, then starts to sputter and goes out. I've tried turning the speed up (rabbit) and it actually seems to sputter more. Tried playing with the choke too. What could be the problem? Briggs and Stratton engine.

The list is endless with your description
Water in the fuel
Spark Plug
Plug wire
Coil assy
engine timing
Dirty carb
If it were me I would check for water in the fuel tank
check the spark plug (not expensive so replace it)
Clean the Carb and air filter maybe just the filter is dirty
Others will chime in

Low oil sensor? Check level to confirm the churned up oil doesn't cause the crank case level to be too low for the sensor.

Reactions: johneh and Jags
Not sure if that engine is complicated enough to have a low oil sensor or not, but I would check oil level first. If it restarts after it sits for a bit my next guess would be fuel delivery. After that I would check if the coil is failing when it gets hot.

Reactions: johneh
^^That

get some Seafoam for the gas and run a heavy dose through it

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd