Wood sources

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarynAnne

Hearth Supporter
Ok - let me preface this by saying that I've done a search on past topics and tried not to ask a question that's been asked a bunch of times. Having gone through that exercise and still have the question, here it goes...
To all of you professional wood finders out there - where do you find free/reasonable wood? I've tried to google permits for cutting in State forests in NH and VT and I've come up with not much specific. I think that tree companies around here are probably out b/c this is firewood country. They're probably already selling or tapped out already. Is there such a set up as knocking on someone's door and asking if you can chunk up one of their trees that's fallen over? How do you approach someone about that and what is customary (if anything is customary).

One last bummer - this is the first time that we have lived life without a pickup truck. I have a Honda Accord and Mark has a Jeep Wrangler. We're limited. But determined.

Any advice from you wood scrounging pros would be appreciated - I'm currently having to buy wood at 200.00 per cord of mixed hardwoods. At least it's dry. Yeah, it's our first season of burning, we'll be better next year at having a supply. But I want to get my ducks in a row now. Thanks everyone.

I have had success with posting a want add on a local freecycle web site. Something to the effect " looking for felled trees or unwanted firewood"

And get yourself one of those $250 trailers from some place like Harbor Freight to tie to the back of that Wrangler.

I don't have to scrounge anything but energy. Harder to find than wood. A tornado sat down in the woods right in front of my house a couple of years ago and whacked 36 trees so I will be trying to outrun the bugs for another couple of years. My problem is getting in there, and then getting the wood out.

There is nothing wrong with knocking on the door, introducing self, and offering to "get rid of the that tree" or the wood just sitting on the front lawn forever. Especially if it has been sittin for awhile. Most people will be eager to get rid of it especially when it does not cost them anything. The worst that will happen is you get a "no". Thats when you say thanks, have a nice day. Often times you will get leads from other people. "My sister-in-law had a tree come down" etc. Put the word out with friends, coworkers, etc. You will get some leads. Next time you see the tree trimmers trimming the branches near the powerlines, stop and talk to them.

Freecycle is a good tip, and I agree, get your hands on a utility trailer. Can't beat Harbor Frieght on price. Also keep an eye out for a used one, I happened to get one for free that was just sitting there rusting away. It's now being converted to a little trailer to be pulled by my atv (BrotherBart-does this give you any ideas?).

I never realized what a valuable tool the atv is for getting wood out of the woods. A little trailer being towed behind the atv loaded with wood. Heck of allot faster than my current method (wheelbarrow).

Anyways, keep at it, you will get some pay off soon. Last year I was looking for wood, this year I have about 5 sources and have turned down offers. KD

Yep. Been tossing the ATV idea around for twenty years. With an 878 foot uphill drive way to plow when it snows and the wood. Instead I am working on wearing out my third 24 horse garden tractor that I bought last year.

The only orange thing with the word Husqvarna on it that I own, well that and the new wood cutting crash helmet. Thinking about painting the helmet Poulan yellow.

Call around to tree service shops and also try local excavators. I got a 17' tandem dump truck load of cuts for $150.00. Got another 4 truck loads from the 7-8 or so trees they cut down in town to make room for the new town library. Same price. Bot were delivered to my house. Figure I got between 6-7 cords for $300.00 I'm happy.
These guys get them free when leveling land/lots etc. Decent ones don't charge alot for the wood they got for free & made a killing taking down in the first place.
Just an added bonus for them.

So much wood going to waste in most communities that if you keep your eyes open and develop a reputation for doing what you say you're going to do, and you shouldn't have much trouble lining up wood.

A more convenient solution, since you live in New England where there's a lot of hardwood logging, is to get ahold of a few local loggers and ask to buy a load of log-length wood unloaded in your yard. Most loggers do some of that, since it helps diversity their cash flow. Most prefer cash (doesn't bounce) before they drop the load.

Write up a little flyer and drop it in people's mail box. Keep it simple and up front.

"Will remove wood free" Phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.