Wood Shed Plans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello There,
My wife and I weren't sure if we'd like wood heat, but we've now decided we do (after buying a chainsaw, splitter, two woodstoves, some axes, and all the accoutrements!).

In any case, I've been using two wood racks I built out of 2X4's on patio blocks (about 2 cords worth) and now I'd like to build a woodshed to match my shed-shed (attached pic). Any suggestions on where to get plans or should I just wing it using materials/design of my other one?

S

Attachments

• Wood Shed Plans
    DSC00950.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 963
If the wood you are putting up is reasonably dry and you want to match that clapboard look versus a much more open design, you can still have a bit of air movement by putting shims between the clapboards at the studs. Just cut short lengths of 3/8" lath to use as shims giving you a 3/8" air gap between the boards. For racking strength, there is a metal strap that can be placed on the diagonal across the studs under the clapboards.

What are the dimensions of that shed? How much wood to you hope to lay up in the shed? Make sure you plan out how you will rotate your inventory remembering that it could be FILO (first in/last out) or LIFO. Doors at each end can help with the rotation and large doors propped open can aid air flow.

Hi,
I'm thinking of something like the pics attached, but modifying the size (8X6 w/5' back height and 7' front?), front, and siding. The shed above is 10X16. I think 2-3 cords would be more than enough--last year we used 2/3 cord, but I'm predicting we double that using it every weekend and vacations.

S

Attachments

• Wood Shed Plans
    Lore3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,377
  • Wood Shed Plans
    15075b.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,037
You've come this far, might as well go all the way and make it 2-3x bigger than you think you need/want now. I built mine (lean to design) 8 by 16 with a sloped roof. By my calculations every foot in height gives me a cord and I average 5.5 to 6 ft high. I thought this would be way more than I ever needed but of course I was wrong. If you are going to build a lean to I recc that you make it big enough to hold at least 3 years worth of wood.

I recc you split it into 3 sections that are all easily accessible. That way you can reach in and are always grabbing 24 month seasoned wood. That little lean to is ok if you are only burning on weekends and holidays but ifyou get addicted to burning (and you will), that little lean to be a hindrence to your pyro progression.

but we’ve now decided we do (after buying a chainsaw, splitter, two woodstoves, some axes, and all the accoutrements!). good move on that.

Either one of those sheds will do fine or you can just leave it outside and cover the tops of your stacks in the fall. Did you ever consider a lean-to off one side of the house?

Those lean-to designs are OK. If you outgrow one, just get a second one and alternate to rotate your inventory. You could always do a lean-to addition on the back gable wall of your shed but the problem with that is a lean-to addition roof slopes the wrong way and can drip rain and melting snow down your neck. A smaller gable roof running the same direction as the main roof may be better for an addition.

thinkxingu said:
...after buying a chainsaw, splitter, two woodstoves, some axes, and all the accoutrements!
thinkxingu said:
last year we used 2/3 cord...
All that capitalist decadence for less than a cord! %-P

No No LLigetfa, this year I processed over 5 cords--2.5 each for a buddy and me--and I'm guessing we'll use between 1.5 and 2.

It all started when we had a giant maple taken down last year...

S

I can't do a lean-to or addition to the shed as it will be over our requirements for variance; I don't want to add a lean-to on the house because of its orientation. I think a woodshed using one of those two designs, modified for size and matched in color, will work well. Does anyone have plans for these?

S

Some folks have the luxury of being able to put up functional wood storage sheds where they're not particularly visible, so practicality and economy can prevail over appearance. That's an awfully pretty and classy little outbuilding you put up there. I'm assuming that it's in a location on your property such that the appearance of the structure is important to you. You might want to mimic that to some extent with your woodshed. I had the same (if it's the same) challenge when I designed my woodshed. It sits about 25' from our home, right off the driveway as you approach the house. It had to look nice (if the wife was gonna buy into it) and like it belonged there with the house, so it's more than just a functional place to store wood, it's a "piece of furniture" on the property, if you will. I sketched it up, and had a whole bunch of help from some pro carpenter friends to bring it to life. Theoretically, it'll hold nearly 8 cords of wood (144 ft² of floor, stacked to 7'). Practically, I stuff it with maybe 6 ½ cords to leave room for bins of kindling or whatever. The shed's 12' x 16' overall, and I left a 6' x 8' corner open and unfloored for splitting/handling. We think it looks fine next to our home, and it works well for us. Rick

Attachments

• Wood Shed Plans
    tarp.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 905
  • Wood Shed Plans
    niteshed.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 972
Nice looking shed Fossil ! If I build one that nice my wife will want to park a car inside.

fossil said:
Some folks have the luxury of being able to put up functional wood storage sheds where they're not particularly visible, so practicality and economy can prevail over appearance. That's an awfully pretty and classy little outbuilding you put up there. I'm assuming that it's in a location on your property such that the appearance of the structure is important to you. You might want to mimic that to some extent with your woodshed. I had the same (if it's the same) challenge when I designed my woodshed. It sits about 25' from our home, right off the driveway as you approach the house. It had to look nice (if the wife was gonna buy into it) and like it belonged there with the house, so it's more than just a functional place to store wood, it's a "piece of furniture" on the property, if you will. I sketched it up, and had a whole bunch of help from some pro carpenter friends to bring it to life. Theoretically, it'll hold nearly 8 cords of wood (144 ft² of floor, stacked to 7'). Practically, I stuff it with maybe 6 ½ cords to leave room for bins of kindling or whatever. The shed's 12' x 16' overall, and I left a 6' x 8' corner open and unfloored for splitting/handling. We think it looks fine next to our home, and it works well for us. Rick

That is sweet fossil. Do you have another building to hold the Front End Loader, etc? I am sure if you are that particular you would not leave that stuff outside.

Dang, Rick, that's nicer than my house! Maybe I could store my wood in my house and you could come build me a shed out back I could live in!!

Fossil,
Do you have the plans for that shed? With some modifications to size and siding (looks like you have the same roof as our shed), that could work real well for us.

Thanks,

S

thinkxingu said:
Fossil,
Do you have the plans for that shed? With some modifications to size and siding (looks like you have the same roof as our shed), that could work real well for us.

Thanks,

S

Never really were any "plans" drawn up for it, just a sketch I drew up by hand with a plan view, two or three elevations, and a (sort of) perspective. We designed the details as we built it. My sketch is l-o-o-o-n-g gone. Rick

Pretty little garden shed . . . if you want a matched set I would say go for it . . . as long as the wood going in is seasoned and as long as you build it big enough to hold the amount of wood you'll need it should be golden.

If you want to continue to season the wood I would recommend going with a shed covered by board and batting . . . minus the batting . . . to allow air flow, similar to a tobacco drying barn or shed.

Personally, however, I would go with one of those other designs or of course go with Fossil's Shangri-la Shed (I still love those pics every time he posts them!) . . . the reason being that an open sided shed on one side is easier to access . . . you can pick over your wood easier, don't have to worry about windows getting broken and yet still get plenty of light and . . . well . . . woodsheds are supposed to look like that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.