Wood purchase - Alder, Conifer, Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jparker

Oct 17, 2019
PNW
In the process of purchasing and installing a new stove and will need to purchase wood for the first year. The options I have available for purchase around me are Alder, Conifer, and Maple. Being new to burning, I was hoping that someone could make some suggestions on what I should purchase. 100% of one type, 50/50 of two types?

Buy wood now, wait another year for woodstove install.

But seriously the best bet since its hard to find dry wood being sold is to buy from someone who says there stuff is dry (seasoned) and before accepting the load take a piece re-split it and test with a moisture meter, ideally you want 20% moisture or less, but if buying from someone this late in the game jump your number to a max of 25% moisture content, or skip the wood buying all together and buy compressed wood logs / bricks and use them for this season. look at Niels since your in the pnw.

The place I am looking to buy from states it is all less than 20% moisture but I will test it prior to them dumping. What species or mix would you recommend?

The Alder is considered a "garbage" wood around here. I'd stay away from that. Typically very light and rots quickly.

If it is red alder and that's the more common in PNW the BTU isn't too bad but it takes longer to season than maple.
The maple is probably big leaf maple and there again the BTU isn't so bad.
Conifer could be anything from douglas fir to cedar. High BTU to crap BTU. I'd have to know what the most likely species of "conifer " it could be in your local area.
Without knowing what the "conifer"is I'd probably get the maple.

The Conifer is Douglas Fir, Larch/Tamarack, and lodgepole pine. So I am looking at 100% Maple or 50/50 Conifer/Maple. Any recommendations? There is a $50 difference between the two. I can't wait to learn more about the different species and when to use what.

Last edited:
I would go with the mixture - might as well get an idea of how each species burns in your set-up. My brother has those 3, red alder, big leaf maple, and Doug fir. He likes the red alder, and he has started milling up the maple into boards. Doug fir, tamarack and lodgepole pine are all keepers, too.

I went with the 50/50 mix. Now to start planning for next year's wood so that I am not having to buy from a supplier. I appreciate everyones feedback.