wood pellet vs. corn ???? Brands????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasAgs

Hearth Supporter
Jan 13, 2007
I live in Texas and want to at least partially heat our 2500 sq ft house with a stove / insert, etc.

I do not know much about the different types of fuel and the different manfactures, etc..

DFW is the nearest big city. I have found several different types of equipment to buy used and new on EBAY , Craigslist, etc

I did not see an archive on this list for reasearch, but if there are older post dealing with this, just show me the way.

I have a oversized stone hearth I will be putting it in, so just about any size / type will work. I even looked at a "Chubby" round stove (coal maybe?) that was very different than anything I see y'all talking about and a Whitfield Pellet Stove Advantage Plus...

Also, I live outside of the city limits so no local codes to deal with. I can buy all the corn I want year around for less than $5.00 for 50lbs, but I do not know of any pellet dealers.

I usally am only deal with outside temps in the 40's with an oce a year ice storm (this weekend).

I have central HVAC to run as needed but I just want to cut back on how much the heater runs.

I can work through most install prob's and maint. issues as needed.

If y'all can stand to suffer my lack knowledge and learn me what I need to know, I sure would be thankful.

Please speak plain and mention brands / models (good and bad) so I can make a informed choice.

Thanks

Also saw this brand

TimberRidge Pellet Stove 1500sq ' S # 51202 auto lite

Can it been converted to burn corn?

I'll bite, but only because I used to live in Lubbock. :)

Corn, pellets? Well, corn burns dirtier than pellets, and you need to be careful about how dirty it is and moisture content. One guy who posts here, name of Driz, can really get you up to speed there. Other problem with corn is rodents.

As for pellets, they arent much good unless you have a source......dont look at EBAY as a source either....you need a dealer!

As for the stove, research the units, use your gut, and for God's sake, FIND A GOOD DEALER! go to many places, feel them out, see what you think....avoid the ones you dont like, because both corn and pellet stoves might require some dealer work in the future, and it'd sure be nice to know they will work with you when you need it.

Just a quick and dirty post....good luck!

I just started looking, but so far no luck on finding pellets. I am gonna see if the local feed store can order them,(isn't amazing what they can order?) and check in Dallas, but so far, no luck...

Also I'm tring to find a local Sweep/stove fix-it-all.

Thanks

HarryBack said:

Old Hub City boy here Harry. Hope you found at least a few good times there.

If you are intent on getting a pellet stove, you
can find some that allow for a 50/50 mix maximum of corn/wood pellets. My St Croix Prescott is one
example. You may want to check out http://www.iburncorn.com for more detailed info
about corn burning stoves and multi fuel capable stoves.
If you can't find pellets then it makes more sense for you
to go straight up corn stove since you have corn available
to you.

BrotherBart said:
HarryBack said:

Old Hub City boy here Harry. Hope you found at least a few good times there.

Brother...only lived there about 8 months actually....just long enough to experience the dust storms, tornados, and tarantula migrations. Lived in Lubbock, was posted in Levelland, about 30 miles away. A few good things in Lubbock, too! County Line Barbeque....absolutely GREAT barbecue! (I dont eat alot of meat anymore, but enjoyed it while it lasted!), and also, I was always amazed at how well Lubbock was set up for traffic. For those of you who dont know, Lubbock is enclosed within a circular highway, called "the Loop"......jump on the loop and you can be across town in no time! Of course, in being from MA, anything would be an improvement over our roads.

It is an ongoing controversy, and I don't want to re-open a big can of worms here, but I would be wary of pellet and corn stoves if what you are after is saving money, which is what it sounds like you want to do.

When they first came out, pellet stoves were a real bargain because the pellets were made from otherwise unused sawmill waste, and were quite cheap. Now Pellet and Corn stoves are a high popularity item, and the cost of pellets has gotten very high, to the point where at by at least some calculations pellets cost nearly as much as oil on a cost per BTU basis. Given that making pellets is itself an energy intensive operation, and that the pellets then need to be trucked to your store (again usually a long ways, at high fuel costs) I don't see this getting any better. Corn is also getting more popular, which will run it's price up, as will the increased demand for corn in making ethanol fuels.... Add the cost of a stove to this, and it gets debateable how much you save, depending on what you currently use for heat.

It is MUCH more work, but the low cost fuel is probably going to stay cordwood. If you are willing to do the work yourself, the fuel can be nearly free, or at worst you will pay less per BTU for processed cordwood. The stove itself will cost comparably but probably be lower maintainence - pellet / corn stoves have lots of moving parts and electronics, which makes them more failure prone and vulnerable to power failures.

I'd look at any of the brands you see folks talking alot about here on the forums, VC, Englander, PE, Jotul, etc..

Gooserider

you know, Goose, that kinda popped into my mind when i first read the post, which you alluded to....pellet and corn stoves, due to their complexity, are certainly more prone to failure than, say, a wood or coal stove. They certainly also require maintenance to keep them in good operating condition, and this is probably the largest cause of failure that we see....the end-user failing to properly maintain their unit. The pellet units run better at higher heat settings, and poorer, as a rule at the lower settings, so Im a bit concerned as to the applicability here.
Also, as I recall in Texas, they get a winter of sorts, but its not really cold. Another thing I wonder about is would the stove be a good investment in that area of the country? It kinda says something when TexasAgs hasnt found anyone selling pellets in his area. I imagine its hard to find an ice dealer in Point Barrow as well. Im guessing ole Tex heats with gas, and he should really use the calculator and compare it all....might not end up getting a stove at all.

HarryBack said:
Also, as I recall in Texas, they get a winter of sorts, but its not really cold. Another thing I wonder about is would the stove be a good investment in that area of the country? It kinda says something when TexasAgs hasnt found anyone selling pellets in his area. I imagine its hard to find an ice dealer in Point Barrow as well. Im guessing ole Tex heats with gas, and he should really use the calculator and compare it all....might not end up getting a stove at all.

We have an eletric heater that cost us about $200.00 a month to run for about 4 to 5 months. My wife wants me to put in some type of wood/corn burning insert into our hearth just for looks. Now I don't know much about Northern wives but here in Texas, when a woman set her mind to something, you best be heading in the same direction or git out of her way.

So I started to look and realized maybe we could get some heat out of it as well.

Now I can advise you on Bar-B-q, Chilli, growing Hot Peppers, Boots, where to catch Rattlesnakes, picking out a good cutting horse or breeding and raising top quality beef cattle. But the hard facts are down here nobody seems to know anything about corn or wood pellets stoves. So I thought I would seek out expert opinions with an open mind from those that depend on them and have been around them all of thier lives and foun dthis delightful site.

Now most of y'all have been helpful with sharing your experiences and encouraging me to research. And thanks to the feller that pointed me to the articles. (that has been sooo helpful and I have learned as much about y'all as I have the stoves.)

I did find a source of wood pellets, But it looks like corn will be the best choice for me at this time. I thought it might be prudent to see if there was a good multi-fuel unit in case I did need to switch fuel due to changing prices. I must admit it is strage to be surrounded by jack pumps, but due to the high demand/price we ship our oil/gas north for y'all to burn. But we got corn out the wazoo, so that is where I am at at this point.

For what it is worth power was off for 6 hours today due to the 3 inches of ice and sleet we got this weekend... with more to come...

We have an eletric heater that cost us about $200.00 a month to run for about 4 to 5 months. My wife wants me to put in some type of wood/corn burning insert into our hearth just for looks. Now I don’t know much about Northern wives but here in Texas, when a woman set her mind to something, you best be heading in the same direction or git out of her way

Ive gotta be careful nt to tread on hallowed ground here, TexasAg, because some of the most valuable posters here ARE wives....Webwidow (Im absolutely certain shes a Saint, and the next time I see the Pope, Im gonna ske about canonization for her), Marcia as well, and many more, BUT: (gals, please click the BACK button now):

Wives are the same EVERYWHERE! North, South, East, West, Africa, Australia, Borneo, etc!

TexasAg...sometimes you do buy stuff for how it LOOKS.......if the wife wants a stove, by all mean, get one for her!. I agree with a post Driz gave a while back tho, find a stove which can burn both pellets and/or corn. Im a dealer, so I wont reccommend anything, or not reccommend anything for that matter....but cant stress enough to go with a dealer who you like and feel comfortable with, dont go by price alone...price should be low priority. Imagine how the "better half's" attitude would be if you bought her a stove that didnt work well or at all? Oh, the misery!

now, as for Boots.....ive always been partial to Tony Lama, but what do you reccommend? Ive got odd feet...really high arches, and wide feet. Tend to like the wearability of bullhide, but Ive got an elephant hide pair which wears like iron! Cant scratch it!

TA, I see you running two concurrent threads. What do you and your wife really want? A pellet stove or a log burner? What are the priorities outside of looks? How big a room is the stove going to be in?

HarryBack said:
now, as for Boots.....ive always been partial to Tony Lama, but what do you reccommend? Ive got odd feet...really high arches, and wide feet. Tend to like the wearability of bullhide, but Ive got an elephant hide pair which wears like iron! Cant scratch it!

Break in a pair of Luccheses and you will want to fly to El Paso to throw a rock at Anthony Lama.

BB (so Texan that if cut he bleeds cream gravy)

BeGreen said:
TA, I see you running two concurrent threads. What do you and your wife really want? A pellet stove or a log burner? What are the priorities outside of looks? How big a room is the stove going to be in?

I am leaning towards a log burner at this time due to cost, heating needs, and I don't think I could find anyone out here to service it. We have all the corn I could want to burn but I have seen here that it seems to be important to have someone close by to work on them.

It will go in our living room which is about 30 x 28 and is open to our kitchen which is about 21 x 20. the opening is 39" x 37"

Attachments

• wood pellet vs. corn ???? Brands????
    hearth.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 532
    room.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 515
HarryBack said:
Wives are the same EVERYWHERE! North, South, East, West, Africa, Australia, Borneo, etc! Oh, the misery!

Tell me when and what you wear your boots for and I can help you out ...

Tony Lama's are general fit / general purpose, affordable boot. Pick out the skin for your needs .... (Bullhide for work / Ostrich for pleasure)

Your Buddy mentions Lucchese...you might need a 2nd mortgage to buy them, but they a VERY well made boots.

Larry Mahan makes a very comfortable boot for those with a high arch, but don't buy them for working in ...

Better for Barooms, Boardrooms and Bedrooms... (I never did meet a woman that could turn away a man in Mahans...for that matter you ain't seen nothing until you seen a woman in nothing but a pair of Mahans)

Justin/Nocona also tend to be a better choice for high arch fellers and you can get them very wide (at least EE)

Agreed on the Justin/Nocona arches. They are so high that they make my low arch feet hurt.

Looks like a nice fireplace to start with, an insert will look really nice in that opening, whether it's corn/pellet or wood. How is the local wood supply BTW? What kinds of wood are available, and how plentiful is it? I know some parts of Texas are fairly barren desert, while other parts are more wooded - which are you in? Are there enough cordwood dealers in your area for you to get an idea about the costs of wood?

In addition to the opening, it is good to know the depth of the fire box, and the width and depth of the hearth in front of it. Also I noticed a fairly large mantle in the picture, how far is it from the top of the box to the bottom of the mantel, and how far out does the mantel come?

I see possible issues with your Clearance to Combustibles (CTC) numbers in both cases - this is solvable, will just need a bit more work.

How big is the flue, what is it made from (is it clay tile lined?) and is it inside the house or does it run up the outside of the wall?

Gooserider

BrotherBart said:
BB (so Texan that if cut he bleeds cream gravy)

Have you had the Texas Sized Chicken Fried Steak w/ Jalapeno Cream gravy from Black-Eyed Pea?

I had one last week and Man, ...I thought I'd died and gone to Texas... Then I came to and realized I had never left!

Gooserider said:
Looks like a nice fireplace to start with, an insert will look really nice in that opening, whether it's corn/pellet or wood. How is the local wood supply BTW? What kinds of wood are available, and how plentiful is it? I know some parts of Texas are fairly barren desert, while other parts are more wooded - which are you in? Are there enough cordwood dealers in your area for you to get an idea about the costs of wood?

In addition to the opening, it is good to know the depth of the fire box, and the width and depth of the hearth in front of it. Also I noticed a fairly large mantle in the picture, how far is it from the top of the box to the bottom of the mantel, and how far out does the mantel come?

I see possible issues with your Clearance to Combustibles (CTC) numbers in both cases - this is solvable, will just need a bit more work.

How big is the flue, what is it made from (is it clay tile lined?) and is it inside the house or does it run up the outside of the wall?

Gooserider

Let's see ...avg amount of wood in my area

A cord of seasoned oak sells for $125.00 (delivered and stacked)

Firebox is 38" deep / Mantel sticks out 10" and is about 9" from the bottom of the mantel to the top of the fire box...

We did not build a true "flue". It is a Stone box protected on the outside with a big storage room and a "fake" Chimney . I can go out the back or the top.

Attachments

outside.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 392
TexasAgs said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Let's see ...avg amount of wood in my area

A cord of seasoned oak sells for $125.00 (delivered and stacked)

Thats a good price, though you may want to check out some of the threads around here about the differences between what you and I as customers would consider a cord of seasoned wood (128 cu ft @ <20% moisture), vs. what the wood guy's tend to sell as a cord of seasoned wood.( <128 cu ft, and doesn't still have leaves growing on it)

Firebox is 38" deep / Mantel sticks out 10" and is about 9" from the bottom of the mantel to the top of the fire box...

That is a nice deep box, you shouldn't have any trouble findin something to go into it and be pretty much flush with the front of the fireplace. However you may have issues with that mantel, it might need to be moved or have a heat shield installed under it.

We did not build a true "flue". It is a Stone box protected on the outside with a big storage room and a "fake" Chimney . I can go out the back or the top.

So how does the smoke get out of the fireplace now? Or are you saying it is currently a purely decorative, non functional unit? If it is a decorative unit now, you may have some problems, starting with determining whether the box would be NFPA code compliant if you tried to put an insert in it to start with. (Inserts can only be installed into compliant fireboxes in reasonably good working order) Primarily the concern would be the clearance between the back side of the masonry and any combustible materials (wall studs and so forth) Also how heat proof are the materials the box itself is made out of? It looks like painted stone from the pix, but not all stone is suitable for use in fireplaces, and neither are many mortars.

Assuming the box is OK, I will let the experts take over on the details, but my first guess is that you would need to come down from above with "Class A" pre-fab chimney itno the top of the box, and going up the inside of that fake chimney. Again, lots is going to depend on exactly what things are built like inside as to what will be possible and what it will take to get a code compliant (safe) install.

Given that you might need to put in some sort of chimney, a pellet / corn stove might be easier as they aren't as difficult to deal with in terms of venting and exhaust. You would probably be able to just drill out through the back of the box and vent out the wall of the utility room.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
That is a nice deep box, you shouldn't have any trouble findin something to go into it and be pretty much flush with the front of the fireplace. However you may have issues with that mantel, it might need to be moved or have a heat shield installed under it.

Given that you might need to put in some sort of chimney, a pellet / corn stove might be easier as they aren't as difficult to deal with in terms of venting and exhaust. You would probably be able to just drill out through the back of the box and vent out the wall of the utility room.

Gooserider

That brings me back to wher I started.... Looking at corn/pellet stoves...

I did find a pellet place over in Rusk (not too far) That I'm gonna call later and git a quote... but corn is everywhere and CHEAP

My Northern has these 3 stoves in stock and the manager told me he would let me pick one for $1100.00

Drolet High-Efficiency Pellet Stove, Model# DP00045

0–45,000 BTU heats an area up to 2000 sq. feet
Exclusive combex technology provides perfectly balanced pressure for more effecive heating
Keeps running even with door open
70-lb. hopper allows stove to run through an entire weekend when hooked up to thermostat
Stainless steel heat exchanger on top of firebox
Airwash system keeps glass clean
Heavy-duty 3/16in. plate steel on top
Wall thermostat or manual operation
Includes electronic automatic ignitor, 3in. vent (with 4in. adapter), large ash pan and adjustable handle
Fully assembled and approved for North America
Check state and local codes for approved installation
Model DP00045

and this one...

FREE SHIPPING — Exclusive NorthStar Corn-Burning Stove

Save up to 80% this winter with a corn-burning stove from Northern!
Burns more economically than liquid propane or natural gas!
Environmentally friendly stove is manufactured to UL spec #1482 and is easy to install!
Durable stainless steel firebox for extended use!
Burns whole-kernel corn; never split wood again!
20,000 BTUs on lowest setting
55,000 BTU on highest setting
One bushel (56 lbs) lasts 19.24 hours on lowest setting
100 lbs lasts 37 hours on lowest setting
One bushel (52 lbs) lasts 6.76 hours on highest setting
100 lbs. lasts 13 hours on highest setting
Easy to Use

Easily adjustable heat settings coupled with draft settings allow the user to control heat output
Convenient ash drop system and ash drawer for handy maintenance
Self cleaning firepot eliminates need to remove 'clinkers' daily which results in reduced maintenance
Easy to Install

Direct vent design quickly installs in new or existing homes with tubing (not provided) which eliminates the need for an expensive chimney system

Negative draft combustion pulls smoke away, even when door is open!
Independent lab tested to UL spec #1482.

and this one...

American Harvest® Model 6039 Corn/Pellet Multifuel Heater

The American Harvest® Model 6039 multifuel heater is built for durability. Made to burn corn and pellets, it can be adapted to burn soy bean, olive pits, cherry pits, bio mass fuel grains and processed silage. Digital Control Board with built-in diagnostics and LED readouts make testing, startup and operation a breeze with just the touch of a button. U.S.A.

BTU: 44,300
Heat capacity: 1200 sq. feet
CFM: 200
Hopper capacity: 60 lbs.
Heat settings: 9
Dimensions: 23 1/2in.W x 29 1/2in.D x 33 1/4in.H
Smoke pipe outlet: 3in. (pell vent) 4in. in higher elevations
Clearance to combustibles: Right side, 3in.; Rear, 9in.; Left side, 7in.
Door opening: 19 3/4in.W x 11 5/8in.H
Glass size: 16 3/4in.W x 8 1/2in.H
Exhaust blower for negative draft pulls flue products through and out, with no smoke spillage
Automatic circulation blower
Unique agitator burns corn without clinkers, allowing use of nonpremium pellets
U.S.A.
Model 6039

Now I am leaning towarads the last one, if I git a corn/pellet model instead of wood..

But since y'all saved me from the "Yugo" (Vogelzang), I thought I'd run these by y'all...

TexasAgs said:
Now I am leaning towarads the last one, if I git a corn/pellet model instead of wood..

Like I said, to talk corn/pellets, get on over to iburncorn.com --->>> http://forum.iburncorn.com/
There are far more folks over there who
have corn and multi fuel stoves than here.
You'll get some good first hand info on different
stoves that can burn both corn and pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.