wood moisture and air humidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I had my parade rained upon a little today, as I proudly described how I was now seasoning my wood for 2 years or so before burning, and so it's "very dry". Friend pointed out that it could never get very dry in my environment, because the air is so humid. Per this chart:

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/moisture.php

... and the table below, it looks like the most I could ever hope for in central NC is about 12% MC. Which isn't bad, but not ideal.

Poor Alaskans have it even worse, and need dry wood even more ...

I think they have wood there that may dry out quicker, just saying....

I think they have wood there that may dry out quicker, just saying....
Yes, the softwoods they typically burn may reach equilibrium with the environment quicker than oak or hickory. The point of the chart and table is that equilibrium in Juneau in October/November/December is about 18%.

I had my parade rained upon a little today, as I proudly described how I was now seasoning my wood for 2 years or so before burning, and so it's "very dry". Friend pointed out that it could never get very dry in my environment, because the air is so humid. Per this chart:

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/moisture.php

... and the table below, it looks like the most I could ever hope for in central NC is about 12% MC. Which isn't bad, but not ideal.

Poor Alaskans have it even worse, and need dry wood even more ...
Anything less than 25 is fine. 20 is best.

Reactions: albert1029
Where in the world would you get that idea?
Which idea ?

That's 12% is not ideal ? Maybe so.

That 12% wouldn't be the best I could hope for ? By reading the table (the one below the chart of equilibrium MC versus temperature and humidity), the row labeled "NC Raleigh" (close enough to me).

looks like the most I could ever hope for in central NC is about 12% MC. Which isn't bad, but not ideal.

For firewood, 12% is indeed very dry. Perhaps your friend was concerned because he thought you were planning to build fine furniture out of your woodpile?

Rusty I'll take that old 13 or 14 percent stuff off your hands.

Reactions: BillLion
Which idea ?

That's 12% is not ideal ? Maybe so.

That 12% wouldn't be the best I could hope for ? By reading the table (the one below the chart of equilibrium MC versus temperature and humidity), the row labeled "NC Raleigh" (close enough to me).
20% or a little below is considered ideal (as stated above), I have 5 year old Oak that's about 17%, burns great and takes off right away on a bed of coals.

12% IS almost too dry. Remember - these stoves were designed for firewood right around the 20% range.

That chart doesn't help much on this forum. After all, we are not wood workers, we work with wood but not to build anything but fires and wood piles.

The stoves may be built for 20% but it is mostly 20% and lower. If 12% is too dry, we have had some very big problems over the years that we are not aware of yet....;)

That chart doesn't help much on this forum. After all, we are not wood workers, we work with wood but not to build anything but fires and wood piles
It works for us in the fact wood drys to a certain point and then its done drying, I can not get wood to 12% drying it out side, I would have to use a kiln to get it that dry.

Yet you live in a drier climate than ours and I have been told our wood is less than that!! I care not so long as it burns well.

The stoves may be built for 20% but it is mostly 20% and lower. If 12% is too dry, we have had some very big problems over the years that we are not aware of yet....;)

"Almost", Dennis - Almost.;)

Yet you live in a drier climate than ours and I have been told our wood is less than that!! I care not so long as it burns well.
Dennis I doubt, if your wood is 12% I remember you talking about some screwy readings when you took some wood to Woodstock but I thought those readings were high.
Looks like our humidity levels are close, I have some old Silver Maple and I will check that if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.