Wood insert with offset help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mark cerel

Oct 3, 2018
Wilmington ohio
I recently installed a wood burning insert to my existing masonry fireplace. The flu is made of tile and is in good shape with no cracks. I connected my insert with a insulated 6 inch flex liner. I ran the liner all the way up and place a new rain cap on etc.

My question is this- in order for my insert to correctly fit in the fire box I had to use a 45 degree elbow off the exhaust of the stove connected to a 8 inch pipe connected to another 45 degree elbow and into the insulated pipe. The reason for this was the way my damper sat inside the fire box. It created a 8 inch offset. ( If that makes sense). The elbow and 8 inch pipe is straight stainless steel it is not insulated. Is this okay or should I wrap insulation around it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the offset is below the damper it should be ok.

Why 8" pipe and 6" liner

I was thinking maybe this is an 8" long piece of 6" stainless pipe used to create the offset between the 45s.

I was thinking maybe this is an 8" long piece of 6" stainless pipe used to create the offset between the 45s.
You may be right

You could have cut out the damper to make a straighter run, but if everything is connected tightly then you should be good to go, just remember to stick the vacuum hose up there to make sure there's no build up after sweeping.

Thank you for the help, yes it is six inch diameter pipe. The offset needed to be 8 inch's long. The offset set is in the fire box. I will leave it as it is for now

One more quick question. Been burning for a few weeks with no issue. I want to use a creosote remover product. I know this is no subsiute for sweeping the chimmney. However thought anything can help. Is it okay to use a chemical product such as Rutland creaoste remover for a stainless steel flex pipe

I wouldn't worry about using a creosote removal product yet, use your chimney cap as a indicator, if it starts to get some buildup change your burning habits (burn hotter) those products I believe are for the gummy tar creosote.

creosote removal products don't remove creosote, they change it from a hard to clean form (tarry) to an easier to clean form (crusty)