Wood insert stove with DIY metal stud surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Firsttimecaller

Sep 17, 2024
Canada
Hello wood burning gurus,

In my recently purchased home, I have a fireplace that was in a state of disrepair. The masonry surrounding the firebox was collapsing so I decided to tear it down.

I’m prepping now for a wood insert stove, and have built up a surround with metal studs. My plan is to cover this over with durock and ceramic.

I’m hoping you all can sanity check my wall construction. What I’ve done is build my metal stud frame, which is fastened to the existing wood stud/ gyproc behind. In the reference pic, where the masonry ends is the minimum clearance to combustibles by code where I am.

Is there any risk of heat conduction through the metal studs to the combustible materials beyond? Or additional risks from having repurposed this firebox for the insert appliance?

[Hearth.com] Wood insert stove with DIY metal stud surround

It should be ok for an insert as long as only non-combustible materials are used. Most inserts have a convective jacket surrounding them which acts as shielding. FWIW, the masonry conducts heat too.

Reactions: Firsttimecaller
It should be ok for an insert as long as only non-combustible materials are used. Most inserts have a convective jacket surrounding them which acts as shielding. FWIW, the masonry conducts heat too.
Ok, appreciate the reply.

Yep on top of the steel will be cement board and ceramic, no combustibles aside from the existing wall behind.

For more info, the stove going in is a regency i2450, which has plenty of room in this firebox.

I guess my main concern is that this fireplace would be seeing more heat with an insert than previously as a traditional fireplace.

It will be seeing less direct heat with an insert compared to the open flames in the regular fireplace.