Wood Insert - Right size? Catalytic vs Non Catalytic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattS

Dec 7, 2020
Morristown, NJ
Just moved into a 1800 sq foot ranch in NJ about 30 miles west of NYC. Expanded bungalow lake house arts and crafts style home. Primary heat source is a natural gas forced air system. Home has a very old steel box Heatilator fireplace. Four contractors have recomended removal and rebuild. One contractor has convinced me to go with the wood buring insert - smarter, more efficient choice.

Opening is 48" wide by 29" high by 24" deep. So size is not an issue. I do not want to start messing around with the facade of the fireplace. Just want to plug and play. The fireplace opens up into liviing room and family room combo, both of which have barn style 12 foot vaulted ceilings. Behind the fireplace is the Master Bedroom. Two bedrooms are on the other side of the house, other side of the living toom past the foyer.

Contractor is recommending Regency Hampton Hi500. Good looking unit. Catalytic unit. 14 hour burn time etc. However, I am not a wood fanatic that wants to try and heat my entire home with this insert all day and night. I also don't want to have to fully load the unit to achieve maximum efficiency every time I want a fire. I want to supplement my primary source of heat. I also want to be able to enjoy the visual part of the fire. My understanding is because the catalytic units are so efficient the flames stay up high in the chamber and the soot eventually dominates the glass door. I may be wrong, just going by what I have read and viewed on You Tube.

My questions are:

Is the Regency HI500 too much insert for me and for my place?
If not the HI500, does anyone have any recommnedations to fit a large opening I have?
Given my planned use, desire to see fire and maximize the glass viewing, should I be looking at a non-catalytic unit? If so anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Matt

Wood Insert - Right size?  Catalytic vs Non Catalytic?

I have a fireplace similar to yours and got a Quadra fire expedition 2. Non catalytic, burns pretty good. Here's the thread I made on it

I'll post some before during and after pics in that thread too

Last edited:
Trying to figure out the right size based on heat output. How large is the room and how open is it to the rest of the floor?

Catalytic stoves (well, the good ones) give you the option of burning low if you want to.

People like to say that this means that there is no visible flame, the door is always black, the EPA will sneak into your house and steal 1 of each sock from your drawer, etc. (Maybe that's even true if you always burn wet wood on the lowest setting.)

In the real world, don't make cat vs. noncat a major factor in your decision unless you really want long low burns. Both kinds need maintenance and parts replaced every so often. Pick a good stove that was designed well.

Reactions: Indianawood
Trying to figure out the right size based on heat output. How large is the room and how open is it to the rest of the floor?
Layout attahed. Rooms marked Dining Room & Living Room have 12 foot vaulted ceilings. Rest of the home has 8 foot ceilings.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Wood Insert - Right size?  Catalytic vs Non Catalytic?
    Ranch Layout.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 105