Wood Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doylew66

Oct 8, 2020
Wisconsin
I have been very interested in converting our fireplace with a wood fire insert. The fireplace is located in our child’s playroom. I was wondering if there is a such thing as a “safe touch” wood insert. Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing more.

No. Inserts are quite radiant. They will get hot. Children pick up on this quickly, but if concerned then a metal, child safety gate could be used to fence off the hearth area.

I raised three kids around wood stoves without incident. A simple tri-folding screen in front of the stove was all I ever used. Now with grandkids visiting, I am doing the same thing.