Wood insert in metal firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EasternWA

Aug 4, 2024
Washington
Hello experts,

I removed an old Quadrafire wood insert as part of a fireplace remodel. It was in an old metal fireplace “Fireplaces by Martin.” There is no masonry around the firebox (see pictures).

We had a couple guys come out and look at it. One said said we need a new chimney. The other tried to get us to go to a zero clearance fireplace. I think both guys are trying to upsell.

There’s a metal flex pipe inside the exterior metal liner (see pictures).

Is there a reason I can’t stick a new insert in here as long as the wood framing meets the combustible clearance requirements?

Thank you !

Wood insert in metal firebox Wood insert in metal firebox

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello experts,

I removed an old Quadrafire wood insert as part of a fireplace remodel. It was in an old metal fireplace “Fireplaces by Martin.” There is no masonry around the firebox (see pictures).

We had a couple guys come out and look at it. One said said we need a new chimney. The other tried to get us to go to a zero clearance fireplace. I think both guys are trying to upsell.

There’s a metal flex pipe inside the exterior metal liner (see pictures).

Is there a reason I can’t stick a new insert in here as long as the wood framing meets the combustible clearance requirements?

Thank you !

View attachment 328752

View attachment 328753
Show us the data tag and any other tags on the fireplace

We need to see the model number to verify that an insert is permitted, in the manual, for this fireplace.

The model number is BWH-36A.
I can't find a manual for that fireplace. What does the manual say about inserts or any unspecified accessories?

I see this, but I assume it’s ok for an insert because a reputable business installed one in the early 90’s (the old Quadrafire insert)
Assuming that the buisness was reputable and following safety standards is absolutely not a safe bet at all. I can tell you I absolutely would refuse to install an insert in it unless the manual says you can.