Wood identity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zombie

Dec 21, 2020
NC
Not sure what this is.

Wood identity? Wood identity?

Apple? Is some of it twisty? I have some apple that looks like that I was cutting up the other day.

The tree is around 26ish inches in diameter, maybe 65 feet? It has been a standing dead for many years and has no bark on it. It's almost the color of red oak, but the grain doesn't look like red oak, very twisted, almost knotty. Spunky odor while burning.

Something in the maple family, possibly box elder...?

It really is, I made the wife a couple of candle holders out of a limb. This is what it looks like after poly.

20210209_213410.jpg 20210209_213430.jpg

Its definitely not Box Elder. Box Elder looks a lot like red maple with sap stains but that are red when fresh cut and then turn brown with exposure. It also doesn't have that extreme sheen/shimmer. Here's a box elder I cut recently:

Wood identity?

Wood identity?

Attachments

• Wood identity?
    20210122_164557.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Zombie and NickW
Its definitely not Box Elder. Box Elder looks a lot like red maple with sap stains but that are red when fresh cut and then turn brown with exposure. It also doesn't have that extreme sheen/shimmer. Here's a box elder I cut recently:

View attachment 274184
View attachment 274185
True. I've seen branches and smaller trunks of box elder pretty clear with the shimmer, but that does look like a bigger piece which would likely have more staining & red streaks. Maybe silver maple...? Sometimes it's stained, sometimes not. Just convinced it's a maple of some sort because of that shimmer/crossbanding. No bark, no leaves, not a great pic of the grain; really just a lot of speculation. Nice looking stuff though.

I'll get some better pics when I get home from work. Burning it last night I had a lot of trouble getting temps to stabilize. MC is around 17%. I don't like the way it burns at all.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Cherry

Reactions: D8Chumley