Wood Id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
What is it?

Wood Id Wood Id Wood Id Wood Id Wood Id Wood Id Wood Id Wood Id Wood Id

Ash?

The property owner told me it’s tulip . Can it be tulip ?

Tulip poplar?

Yeah , probably tulip poplar. They usually come straight and with less moss on it around here . Got a huge one in my yard.

Wood Id Wood Id

Reactions: stoveliker
Looks like Tulip Poplar also called Yellow Poplar.

also known as tree that burns quickly. had one come down at a customers house dried it didn't take long 1.5 to 2 years. when dry it is very light. when green very heavy. and smoked bad in my old stove. my poplar was one color from edge to center

Not poplar. Poplar is green in the middle. It is red oak.

the pictures from the original post didn't have the usual bark that red oak has

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
i take that back after looking the pictures over and zooming in it might just be a oak including the moss

I don't know what it is but I don't believe it is Red Oak. Cut a round, split it open and post a picture of it. If it is Oak it'll smell like wine or slight manure smell, but that bark isn't how a mature Red Oak tree looks I don't think.

+1 for tulip-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)
White furrows are characteristic for tulip-poplar (when all that is available for ID is bark and wood).
VT Dendro tulip poplar
Leaves, flower and fruit are all very distinctive and great for ID.
Split wood/ heartwood has characteristic yellow-green heartwood, with patches/ streaks of mauve.
Density: light
Splits easily, but funky at times; seasons quickly (~1 year); and burns only OK (definite shoulder season wood).
Used for the manufacture of furniture.

Doesn’t look like oak to me. But a split piece might change my mind. Whatever it is, it sure is pretty!

The bark shouts "tulip poplar". The leaves are unique, so if you find those that's further confirmation. The leaf looks a bit like a maple leaf that got its top point squared off.

It is not a hardwood. Usually splits pretty easy, seasons in about a year, can be a good addition to the firewood mix, but I never use it by itself. It is plentiful here in Indiana (the state tree), so it definitely is in stacks.