Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildwoods

Feb 13, 2020
South Jersey
I saw this dumped and thought for sure it was Cherry after splitting it I'm thinking some other kinda fruit apple maybe?
Thanks for your help!
The last pic is cherry, barks look almost the same to me but the color is obv different.

Wood ID Wood ID Wood ID Wood ID Wood ID Wood ID Wood ID

I have seen some mature Black Birch look like this.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Apple, plum, or some other kind of cherry? I agree it doesn't look like native black cherry (the wood).

So I resplit and stuck my nose to it and it's cherry. Why such a difference in wood color?

Attachments

• Wood ID
    IMG_20210130_125055504_HDR.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Wood ID
    IMG_20210130_125107417_HDR.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: TreePointer
This happens to me fairly often with red oak. Some pieces are vibrantly pink and some more dull brown. Sometimes a tree or limb is just has a little different pigment. Gotta be something with age, weather, or nutrients etc.

So I resplit and stuck my nose to it and it's cherry. Why such a difference in wood color?

The heartwood of black cherry is characteristically pinkish, and the sapwood will be whitish upon splitting logs from a recently living tree. After a few days of exposure to air, the heartwood will turn to an orange-ish color, and the sapwood will no longer be whiteish. Finally the heartwood will finish as a charcoal gray color by the end of a year of seasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Thanks helpful
But, none of my other cherry looks like this. I've sorted cherry from various spots throughout south jersey. I think caw is on to something about growing conditions.

Looks like bird cherry or an orchard type cherry, as compared to the black cherry you're familiar with which is native. Cherry, wild or domestic, has a very distinct smell.

I was gonna say, looking at the pics, cherry. I burn a lot of it, I like it.

Reactions: TreePointer
It's cherry that's good enough for me. South jersey is mainly oak, white, red, black. I try to get as much cherry as I can just for the 6-12 month seasoning time.