Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Just to be sure....Ash ?

Attachments

• 20191013_155907.jpg
    20191013_155907.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 20191013_155712.jpg
    20191013_155712.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 180
Okay, I'm going with Ash and make a Ash stack. What about this ?

Attachments

• 20191014_104855.jpg
    20191014_104855.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 168
Okay, I'm going with Ash and make a Ash stack. What about this ?
The bark looks different than what I think is Ash.....the Bark seems flatter ?

Top center red oak
Bottom center shagbark hickory
Right white oak

Thanks. Trying to get the Ash done first being it seasons faster and don't want to mix things up in the stacks. I'm hoping the Ash will be ready toward late February - March 2020.

Trying to get the Ash done first being it seasons faster and don't want to mix things up in the stacks. I'm hoping the Ash will be ready toward late February - March 2020.
Yeah, I like to separate wood that I think might dry faster. Hard to tell how dry the Ash in your pics is..did you meter any of it?
I just took down a White Ash that was standing dead for several years. I was hoping it would be pretty dry, but only the small upper branches were dry, a very low percentage of the total amount of wood. Most of it was still above 30% moisture. <> It'll be interesting to see where it is after next summer. It's stacked three rows wide, and I'm going to make a cover for it, a double width of tar paper, glued together lengthwise with roof cement.
20191014_075350.jpg

Yeah, I like to separate wood that I think might dry faster. Hard to tell how dry the Ash in your pics is..did you meter any of it?
I just took down a White Ash that was standing dead for several years. I was hoping it would be pretty dry, but only the small upper branches were dry, a very low percentage of the total amount of wood. Most of it was still above 30% moisture. <> It'll be interesting to see where it is after next summer. It's stacked three rows wide, and I'm going to make a cover for it, a double width of tar paper, glued together lengthwise with roof cement.
View attachment 249349
Whoa !.....thats some stack. I haven't metered the Ash yet, meter needs batteries.